Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re halfway through National Barbecue Month and loving every minute of it. We hope you’ve had some time to try out some new recipes and enjoy a few old favorites as well. If you’d a couple tips on smoking meat, check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Have a great rest of May & get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Egret's chili tonight

Firing up a batch of Egret's chili tonight.  Man I love this stuff, even if I have to wear a seatbelt to keep me from lifting off when I goto the bathroom tomorrow.  Will post results after finished.  
·

Comments

• nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,022
    By results, I hope you mean before you eat the chili ;)

·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,164
    edited December 2012

You show that turd who's boss!
    ·
  • IrishDevlIrishDevl Posts: 1,390

By results, I hope you mean before you eat the chili ;)

Yes, results of food.
    ·

You show that turd who's boss!
    How bout a courtesy flush.
    ·
    "Who does number two work for!?"

Seriously though, love chili.  Need to try that recipe - cocoa powder give it a little mole flavor?

·

"Who does number two work for!?"

Seriously though, love chili.  Need to try that recipe - cocoa powder give it a little mole flavor?

It's a fantastic recipe. Hats off the egret. I only use one Serrano though, being a sissy from the Northeast and all.
    ·
    all ingredients combined, now two hours uncovered.  
    ·
  • Beans?  I thought you were making chili.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

·
    Beans?  I thought you were making chili.
    And here we go...  I forgot there are Texans on this board.  
    ·
    Beanz?!  Them is a greenhouse gas!  (my best imitation of a Texan)

·
  • Has anyone made this chili in a cast iron Dutch oven? I was just wondering with the acidic ingredients if it would be okay as long as I don't leave the chili in the Dutch oven for too long after cooking it.
    ·

Beanz?!  Them is a greenhouse gas!  (my best imitation of a Texan)

I am sure they will be the cause of quite a bit of gas.
    ·
    Pacuare said:
    Has anyone made this chili in a cast iron Dutch oven? I was just wondering with the acidic ingredients if it would be okay as long as I don't leave the chili in the Dutch oven for too long after cooking it.
    Yeah, that's totally fine.

·
    Pacuare said:

Has anyone made this chili in a cast iron Dutch oven? I was just wondering with the acidic ingredients if it would be okay as long as I don't leave the chili in the Dutch oven for too long after cooking it.

I am using a la creuset knock-off, isn't that a cast iron Dutch oven?
    ·
  • IrishDevl said:

Yours looked like it was enamel coated. The Dutch oven I have is not enamel coated. I should have been more specific.
    ·
    Chili in a cast iron (sans enamel) pot is totally fine.  I'd not cook anything in it if it was brand new and unseasoned, however.

·
    Pacuare said:

IrishDevl said:

Pacuare said:

Yours looked like it was enamel coated. The Dutch oven I have is not enamel coated. I should have been more specific.

Got it, no probs. I think fine like Nola wrote
    ·