Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Hop on down to your nearest EGG dealer this week to pick up some Easter EGGcessories! Here are a few that may be useful for Easter, the V-rack, electric charcoal lighter and flexible skewers! Now that Spring is in the air, it's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Brisket --- Marinade

First Post - I've had my Egg for about 1 1/2 yrs now and use it A LOT!!!

I have cooked around 8 to 10 briskets now.  I have found I have really good success using this marinade and wanted to share since I have learned so much from browsing this forum.

• 1/2 Cup Red Wine - I bought a gallon jug of burgundy
  • 1/4 Cup White Wine Vinegar
  • 1/8 Cup Worcestershire Sauce
  • 1/8 Cup Soy Sauce

I multiplied these by 4, 6, and 8 for a 13lb, 15lb and 16 lb packer brisket.  Put the briskets each in a big aluminum serving try and in the fridge.  Flipped them over once.  Soaked for around 12 to 16 hours.

I then use the Brown Sugar Rub -- 

• 1/3 C Brown Sugar
  • 1/3 C Chili Powder
  • 1/3 C Sea Salt
  • 1/3 C Pepper
  • 1/3 C Paprika

Throw in a little bit of Cumin too...

Then, you know the rest, cook somewhere in the 200's for a H'of a long time.  I just finished doing the 15lb and it was 20 hours, grate temp at around 240, internal hit 191.

I know some may frown upon using a marinade for a brisket and I wasn't too fond of the idea too, but it's turned out the few times I've used it, so I guess I may keep using it.  My wife really likes the briskets that have been marinaded.  I, of course, like them all!!

Comments

• cazzycazzy Posts: 4,533
    I'm not a marinade guy when it comes to brisket but you hit it on the head sir! Ding ding ding...the wife likes!

Always a winner if the wife likes it! Thanks for sharing! :)

• lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 4,161

Yes SWMBO rules -but you can lessen the pain by judicious use of the remaining 100+ ounces of the gallon jug of burgundy.  If it works, it's a winner!  Well done.

Louisville
  • dlk7dlk7 Posts: 963

First Post - I've had my Egg for about 1 1/2 yrs now and use it A LOT!!!

I have cooked around 8 to 10 briskets now.  I have found I have really good success using this marinade and wanted to share since I have learned so much from browsing this forum.

• 1/2 Cup Red Wine - I bought a gallon jug of burgundy
    • 1/4 Cup White Wine Vinegar
    • 1/8 Cup Worcestershire Sauce
    • 1/8 Cup Soy Sauce

I multiplied these by 4, 6, and 8 for a 13lb, 15lb and 16 lb packer brisket.  Put the briskets each in a big aluminum serving try and in the fridge.  Flipped them over once.  Soaked for around 12 to 16 hours.

I then use the Brown Sugar Rub -- 

• 1/3 C Brown Sugar
    • 1/3 C Chili Powder
    • 1/3 C Sea Salt
    • 1/3 C Pepper
    • 1/3 C Paprika

Throw in a little bit of Cumin too...

Then, you know the rest, cook somewhere in the 200's for a H'of a long time.  I just finished doing the 15lb and it was 20 hours, grate temp at around 240, internal hit 191.

I know some may frown upon using a marinade for a brisket and I wasn't too fond of the idea too, but it's turned out the few times I've used it, so I guess I may keep using it.  My wife really likes the briskets that have been marinaded.  I, of course, like them all!!

Sounds like a great idea - I've never marinated a brisket before.  Does it still make a nice bark?

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Rudderville, TN

• LitLit Posts: 2,230
    Without pics it never happened.
  • I still have a little while, but these are rolling though the temps.  Grate is at 260.  I have a Point to cook and about 5 inches of point and flat I had to cut off.  Think I'll be putting those on at 3 am or 4 am after these 2 come off. 

And yea, the bark is crusty but not too crusty.  They sweat a lot.  I do not foil them either.  Sorry, I did not resize the pic, came from my phone.

Brisket 1.jpg
    3264 x 1840 - 2M
  • The one I took off this morning, no pic, sitting in the fridge.... :-(  waiting for the party tomorrow night....