Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Spreading the love this Valentine’s Day with your EGG? Virginia Willis’ three course menu is perfect for a date night! February is also National Chocolate Lover’s Month, so don’t feel guilty if you’ve been cooking a little more dessert than usual on your EGG. If you’re looking for something a little more savory than chocolate, try some Roasted Chicken Flatbread or Pork Tenderloin with Honey Mustard.

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and the Culinary Center too!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Drip pan gravy ?

Has anyone successfully made gravy from the drippings in the drip pan i've tried with beef , chicken and pork all taste way greasy. can it be done ? never had that problem when done in the hot box with the drippings  
Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.

Comments

• Yes yes and yes.  Pour drippings into a glass measuring cup or whatever is handy,  wait till fat layer comes to top and skim off the fat.  Easier get a fat separator they work too.
    Make a roux with equal amounts of  butter and flour, cook until desired color of the flour (for a white gravy cook flour until the raw flour taste is gone).  Slowly add dripping to the mixture an simmer until desired gravy thickness.

Ok bigphil, after typing the above I assume you have added other juices to the drip pan and you are not just using the grease that drips down.   
    Large, small and mini SW Austin
  • jlsmjlsm Posts: 876
    As Austin mentioned, cook with some broth, onion, carrot and celery in the drip pan. Get a fat separator; worth the $10 or so, even for a single-use utensil. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • bigphilbigphil Posts: 1,389
    @Austin Egghead Thanks and yes just did not separate the grease (big Face Palm) 

@jlsm Thanks 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • GoodyGoody Posts: 102
    The best drip pan gravy I have made/had is from following the Mad Max Turkey Method. See link below. Don't know if you are doing your turkey this way but sure you could adapt the gravy method to whatever you are cooking.

• Goody said:
    The best drip pan gravy I have made/had is from following the Mad Max Turkey Method. See link below. Don't know if you are doing your turkey this way but sure you could adapt the gravy method to whatever you are cooking.

I'm cooking it Mad Max style and the smells coming from that stock pot are heavenly!

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  If the lead bullets don't kill you, the leaded water will.

• If you don't have time to separate the fat you can just lay coffee filters in the pan and remove when saturated. Repeat as often as required

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• @LittleSteven - Are you talking about the stockpot or the pan drippings?  I ask because I did throw the big gob of fat into the stockpot as Mad Max suggested.

........................................................................................

• The pan drippings. You don' need any extra fat in Max's gravy with the half pound of butter in there

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• I was shocked about how much butter was in there!  Great tip about getting fat out of the drippings using coffee filters.  Fortunately I have a separater.  Time to go baste the turkey and myself!  Thanks LS!