Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
There are two very delicious food holidays coming up that we wanted to share with you all because cheese and guac deserve to be celebrated! Guacamole Day is on September 16th and Cheeseburger Day is on September 18th. Happy cooking EGGheads! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Turkey Placement Question

jfm0830jfm0830 Posts: 882
edited November 2012 in EggHead Forum
First turkey on the Egg. I'm really looking forward to it. I'll be doing rolls, Hermit Cookies, an Eggnog Bundt Cake as well as the 14# turkey on the Egg.

I cook my turkeys in a cast iron drip pan with a v-rack set inside. I place quartered  onions and apples in both the cavities and the drip pan. No need for gravy. Today I picked up the bird so I can start brining it and I did a test fit on the grill. Therein lies my question. 

I was planning on doing this setup: Plate setter legs up, stainless steel grate on top of the legs, Cast iron drip pan on top of the grate and v-rack in the drip pan. It does fit but parts of the bird are about an inch away from the walls in the dome part of the Egg in two places about 3" below the top. It quickly falls away, but I don't know if that is too close.

The second way of doing it would be: Plate setter legs up, cast iron drip pan on the plate setter, v-rack in the Plate setter. This puts the bird further away from the walls of the dome, but closer to the heat source.

Any comments on which setup might work better? I don't care wether the drippings burn a bit, I am not using them for gravy and I will have aromatics in the drip pan. Thanks in advance.

Jim
BBQ Website: grillin' & smokin'

Middlesex County, MA
Three Large BGE's & Too Many Eggcessories to Count

Comments