Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked turkey ideas?

I need some smoked turkey ideas. Currently I brine for 24 hours in 1C kosher, 1C brown and 1 tbl peppercorns. Inject with creole butter and coat with Cajun seasoning and smoke with apple and hickory. 4 hours in the smoker and 1 in the oven. This is my first year with the BGE. I want to make it a thanksgiving to remember.

Comments

• Cook at 350 and cook to temp not time. White meat around 165 and dark around 175-180
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    I'm doing my first, but from what I've read, adding a lot of wood, especially hickory , could result in a very heavily smoked taste. 
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • MastiffEggHead
    MastiffEggHead Posts: 2
    edited November 2012
    I have been using a recipe from Southern Living for years . It is stupid simple and yields amazing turkeys. The recipe calls for 11 lb turkey, but I've done up to 18 without any change. Sometimes I increase the bourbon to 2 cups, just cause. I also only try to use fresh turkeys. Ingredients 1 (11-pound) whole turkey, thawed 2 cups maple syrup 1 cup bourbon 1 tablespoon pickling spice 1 large carrot, scraped 1 celery rib 1 medium onion, peeled and halved 1 lemon 1 tablespoon salt 2 teaspoons pepper Hickory wood chunks Garnishes: mixed greens, lemon wedges Preparation Remove giblets and neck from turkey; reserve for other uses, if desired. Add water to a large stockpot, filling half full; stir in maple syrup, bourbon, and pickling spice. Add turkey and, if needed, additional water to cover. Cover and chill turkey 2 days. Soak hickory wood chunks in fresh water at least 30 minutes. Prepare firebox. Remove turkey from water, discarding water mixture; pat dry. Cut carrot and celery in half crosswise. Stuff cavity with carrot, celery, and onion. Pierce lemon with a fork; place in neck cavity. Combine salt and pepper; rub mixture over turkey. Fold wings under. I also follow madmax's tip about icebag on the breasts for 20 min prior to putting on the egg. Drain wood chunks, and place on coals. Place turkey on rack above plate setter. I put a drip pan filled with some of the bourbon-syrup-water in between plate setter and grill grate. Smoke at about 250 deg. Cook 6-7hours or until a meat thermometer inserted into thickest portion of turkey thigh registers 180°, breast 165. Remove from egg and let stand 15 minutes before slicing.
  • Bullibe
    Bullibe Posts: 132
    Lot's of people do the fried turkeys in their garage........and burn the house down!! That would make a Thanksgiving to remember!!
    :((
    Redneck Riviera, Gulf Shores, Alabama
  • Mole351
    Mole351 Posts: 110
    That sounds great Mastiff! Think I will try it. Question as I have a frozen turkey in the fridge now...is it ok to thaw in the brine (2 birds one stone) or is conventional wisdom to thaw them sit in brine? May run out of time if the latter...
  • Mole351
    Mole351 Posts: 110
    Basically I don't have 2 days to thaw and 2 more to brine. Looking at 3 days to work with.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Bullibe said:
    Lot's of people do the fried turkeys in their garage........and burn the house down!! That would make a Thanksgiving to remember!!
    Especially when it winds up on the local news, with the fireman bringing the "firestarter" out in the background.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025

Bullibe said:

Especially when it winds up on the local news, with the fireman bringing the "firestarter" out in the background.</blockquot

They always show some guy on the news dropping a 32lb bird in a 12lb pot full of 1200 degree oil.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390

henapple said:
    Bullibe said:
    Especially when it winds up on the local news, with the fireman bringing the "firestarter" out in the background.

I say if you are going to do that, you might as well use a frozen turkey. 
  • RocEGG
    RocEGG Posts: 89
    Mole351 said:
    Basically I don't have 2 days to thaw and 2 more to brine. Looking at 3 days to work with.
    I thaw mine in the brine regularly. Just make sure that you are monitoring the temp of the brine. I keep mine in a cooler in the garage. In cold years I don't worry, in warmer years, I keep an eye on the temp of the brine and add ice as needed. When I am thawing in brine I typically leave it two to three days as opposed to 1 day in brine otherwise. I sometimes also cut down on the salt just to avoid having too salty a bird and drippings.
    Rochester, NY  - XL BGE
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Spatchcocked Turkey
    (you cut out the backbone and cook opened)
    I like a 11/12 lb bird. If I need lots of turkey I just cook a couple ( 1 & 1/2 hr cook app)
    Or, just add a package of legs extra.
    I do not brine the turkey.
    If time I like to leave uncovered in the fridge overnight (no problem if no time)
    I cook "direct" @ 400 on a raised grill "skin side up" and never turn over.
    I will use a coffee rub (see below) Use what you like.
    NOTE PLEASE (A LOT OF SMOKE IS NOT YOU FRIEND)
    I use about a single handfull of mixed chips: Cherry & Pecan.
    Cook to temp (not time) breast @ 160 and thigh @ 180
    Please let set for 20 to 30 mins to rest before cutting.

Coffee Rub (turkey, chicken, beef & pork)
    Equal part: Instant Expresso Ground coffee
    Equal part: Brown Sugar
    ½ part: Black Pepper
    ½ part: Kosher Salt
    ½ part: Garlic Powder
    ¾ part: Ancho Chili Powder
    Don't worry on exact, just close on measurement. I used to use turbinado sugar but we like with brown better. This is pulled from MollyShark, Hungry Man, & Richard In Fl then tweaked. I find the ancho chili powder is far less expensive in the bulk spice area than the bottled area ( have used both light or dark version). I make it starting with a half cup Instant Expresso Ground coffee and work from there as it seems to store well if sealed.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.