Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Scotch Eggs on the Egg

This is the first time I've posted a cook. We usually eat late, and my husband might not be too pleased if I held up dinner to take photos and plate carefully. But I made these in the afternoon. Although a bar snack in Britain (and usually deep fried), these are good for breakfast or lunch. Most recipes use a pound of sausage for four eggs, but I didn't want that much meat. 

Use any sausage you like or get something mild and spice to your taste. Divide into six equal portions.

Put six LARGE eggs in a sauce pan, cover with water and boil for 3 minutes. Put in ice water.

Carefully peel the eggs (they are soft boiled and a bit fragile). Smash a portion of the sausage thinly in an oval and enclose the egg. 

Cooked indirect at 350 for an hour on a mini. 

Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
·

Comments

• Nice..
    Edina, MN

·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 12,507
    very nice!

·

• hapster said:
    Very cool! Do the eggs end up more "hard boiled like" by the end of the cook?
    They certainly appear that way, for sure something to try though.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity and are able to turn both to their advantage."

·
  • This prolly explains why my scotch eggs suck.  I hard boil them before encasing them in sausage.

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

·
  • In the pubs the yolks are sort of a green brown colour. They do sop up some beer though

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·

• In the pubs the yolks are sort of a green brown colour. They do sop up some beer though
    Sounds like a good mixture to me.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity and are able to turn both to their advantage."

·
  • Wife hates it when I do that.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 5,616
    That is friggin eggtastic.  I am definitely going to have to try these. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·
  • Very cool. A+ for creativity.
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!
    ·
  • jlsmjlsm Posts: 836
    edited November 2012
    If you soft cook the eggs first, they end up perfectly hard cooked. Just had a slice as I came into the house at 9 p.m. and they are fantastic. Funny how the smoked flavor intensifies over time. Really good.
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
    ·
  • TUTTLE871TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316

Is this considered Egg on Egg crime?

I am making these for Thanksgiving Breakfast.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

·
  • BigWaderBigWader Posts: 572
    edited November 2012
    In the pubs the yolks are sort of a green brown colour. They do sop up some beer though
    I'm confused... are you taking a bite then dipping like oreos in your beer?  Or spilling beer on your plate and dredging.  Sorry to sound crazy - but I'm trying to picture how this is done.

Large BGE

·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 13,271
    Nice....well try soon
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 12,507
    edited November 2012

In the pubs the yolks are sort of a green brown colour. They do sop up some beer though
    That's probably because they cook the piss out of them.  Here's my science guy explanation (stolen from the interwebs) so you can wake up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat ;)

"The green ring forms when you overheat the egg, causing hydrogen and sulfur in the egg white to react and form hydrogen sulfide gas. The hydrogen sulfide reacts with iron in the egg yolk to form a grayish-green compound where the white and yolk meet. While the color isn't particularly appetizing, it's fine to eat. You can keep the yolk from turning green by chilling the eggs as soon as they have finished cooking. One way to do this is by running cold water over the hot eggs as soon as the cooking time has elapsed."

·
  • Very nice.

Ne Obliviscaris!
    Pasquali Luciano
    Buon appetito to all the BGE family
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE and lots of toys

·
  • Book marked!
    Boom
    ·
  • Book marked!
    +1
    ·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,697

Nicely done. Been awhile since I've done them. Your's came out prettier than mine.

P1030595.jpg 86.4K

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
  • BYS1981BYS1981 Posts: 1,768
    I am doing these for Friday or Saturday, thanks for reminder, I had seen a recipe and wanted to try them.
    ·
  • BigWader said:
    I'm confused... are you taking a bite then dipping like oreos in your beer?  Or spilling beer on your plate and dredging.  Sorry to sound crazy - but I'm trying to picture how this is done.
    No man, Just meant you could drink a lot of beer while eating them.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·