Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Thanksgiving Turkey

I have never cooked a holiday turkey on BGE. I would like to try. Can EGGheads on this forum give me their tried and true/no-brainer recipe with full instructions and any special eggcessory I might need? Thanks and I look forward to hearing from the eggperts!
·

Comments

• MickeyMickey Posts: 16,441
    edited November 2012

Raise the grid (adj rig or bricks, or ???, just get it raised a few inches above the felt line).

I cook direct at 400. Spatchcock bird and leave uncovered in fridge overnight if time (if not, will not hurt). I do not brine nor inject the bird. Like a smaller bird of 11/12 lbs. I use coffee rub. Put on grid bone side down and never turn over. Cook to temp only, but this takes me about 75 mins +/-. Use VERY LITTLE (VERY LITTLE) wood for smoke. I like a total of less than a handfull of chips mixed cherry/pecan tossed in.

Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • jlsmjlsm Posts: 848
    You can do a search and get plenty of answers, but I can't resist hyping my favorite, from amazing ribs. I don't use any smoke wood. This is absolutely fantastic. The page has information on every single aspect of buying and cooking turkey. But you have to wade through a massive amount of type to get to the recipe. If you want it stripped down, PM your email and I'll send a stripped down version that I keep in my recipe file.
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
    ·
  • allsidallsid Posts: 410
    edited November 2012
    jlsm said:
    You can do a search and get plenty of answers, but I can't resist hyping my favorite, from amazing ribs. I don't use any smoke wood. This is absolutely fantastic. The page has information on every single aspect of buying and cooking turkey. But you have to wade through a massive amount of type to get to the recipe. If you want it stripped down, PM your email and I'll send a stripped down version that I keep in my recipe file.
    +1 on Amazing Ribs.  I have only done one turkey, and it was based on the amazing ribs post.  Came out fantastic.  Here is a link to how I did it-

·
  • I do the same as Mickey but with a traditional turkey rub and indirect. 
    ·
  • What is the largest turkey that I could/should do on a large egg?  I am not going to spatchcock it either.

Going to be doing a practice run next weekend and doing a bird on the egg and my electric turkey fryer, having about 18 people for dinner.

Thank you!
    Scott K
    ·