Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for September? We’re ready as ever for football season! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. Either way they’re sure to become a fan favorite! We couldn’t forget about Labor Day...we have recipes and cook out ideas to celebrate the long weekend no matter what you’re doing. And lastly, be sure to cook up a batch (or five) of bacon for National Bacon Day! We can’t wait to fall into cooler weather with you!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Deep Dish Pizza---Thanks Zippylip!!!

We do pizzas weekly (thin crust, hot, fast cooks) in our house, but thanks to seeing zippylip's deep dish pie sat week we had the craving for deep dish. Upped the amount of flour and water a little from his recipe to allow for a 12" pie. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos So good and really simple...deep dish will for sure become part of our pizza routine.

Comments

• cazzycazzy Posts: 8,335
    edited October 2012
    That looks amazing!  Awesome cook quinn!   ;)
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Mighty_QuinnMighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Thanks cazzy!
  • bigphilbigphil Posts: 1,387
    looks fantastic now am ashamed of mine 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • LowflyerLowflyer Posts: 766
    Looks great!
  • That looks great! Is there nothing CI can't do?

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

• ZippylipZippylip Posts: 4,336

looking really good, the crust looks perfect & the cheese right to the edge really worked.  Once you've started making these it's really hard to stop, they are a great compliment to the usual rotation of thinner crust pies. 

Here's one I did over the summer a few times, a combination of chicken/spinach/feta sausage, extra crumbled feta and sliced pepperdews (if you haven't tried them look for them in the supermarket olive bar area, they're usually sold loose.  They look like scotch bonnet peppers in size but are not hot, they're sweet with a great flavor that really compliments the saltiness of the feta):

• Do you not close the lid of the egg since the handle of the CI will be sticking out? Curious how you are getting the toasty top of the pie?

thx
    Woodstock, GA
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,505
    You guys are making me hungry.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

Hogman348 said:
    Do you not close the lid of the egg since the handle of the CI will be sticking out? Curious how you are getting the toasty top of the pie?

thx

lid closes with handle on this cook....Not a problem. I cooked it at 425 just above felt level....stone on adjustable rig with the CI pan sitting on the three green feet.
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 7,080
    Wow @Mighty_Quinn!! That is a beautiful looking pie!

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• AWesome! I need to make this asap!
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • A2ZA2Z Posts: 99
    edited October 2012
    That is truly a great looking pizza,@ Mighty Quinn  Will be trying that myself.

Thanks Griff, jerkchicken, and A2Z...go for it if you want to try. I think it is easier than regular pizzas because you don't have to really work the dough at all...after the second rise, just press it out into the pan, top and bake. Really, the baking is easier too because cooking in the pan at 425 the concern for burning crust and toppings isn't there...nice and easy 35 minutes!
  • Holy crap, that is awesome! I was going to drop money on the BGE deep dish pizza pan. Not now. The CI skillet will be the new pan. Thanks for sharing.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 7,099
    Lookin really good MQ!  I made one this weekend and it was pretty good, but not pic worthy.  Need to hone in my doh! recipe. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• BYS1981BYS1981 Posts: 2,095
    I have a deep dish recipe from Cooks Illustrated.. I am going to use the egg to make it next time.

Looks good, but where is the beer MQ?
    Thanks guys...here you go BYS, actually no beer with the pizza last night but am enjoying a few of these tonight. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos