Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

EMERGENCY!!! Need Help with BBQ Guru!!!

War_Eagle_2244War_Eagle_2244 Posts: 85
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum

Has any experienced their BBQ Guru not reading the grate temperature?  There are 3 dashed lines on the display and it will give a continuous chirp.  Got 6 butts I need to get on ASAP for a party tomorrow.  Any advice is greatly appreciated!!!

·

Comments

• Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,320
    Try switching the probes. You aren't dead in the water without it either

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • What do you mean...putting the Pit wire in the food port? 
    ·
    Yes.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • From what I understand they're made to be interchangable so if you have a failure at a bad moment, you still can function.

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

·
    Fred is right. If you can contol the pit temp you are OK. I suggested changing the probes to troubleshoot

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • It's one of the things that sold me on it.  This is its "fail-safe" feature.

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

·
  • YEMTreyYEMTrey Posts: 2,412
    edited October 2012
    Update?  ~O)
    XL and a Mini Max Egg in Cincinnati, Ohio
    ·
  • War_Eagle_2244War_Eagle_2244 Posts: 85
    edited October 2012
    Thanks everybody!  I have the food probe plugged into the pit jack.  I put the probe through one of the pin holes of the BGE tier rack I'm using. 

Still a little worried b/c the fan has been blowing non stop & it's not getting above 225...it actually started dropping.  I thought the probe may be touching one of the butts or something but the dome thermometer is below 200.  Is it just going to take a while to come up to temp (250) because there is so much meat on it.

Y'all are awesome by the way!!!  Thanks again!!!
    ·
  • EggRacerEggRacer Posts: 400
    It may take a bit to get back up to temp with 6 butts on.
    XLBGE & LBGE
    North Richland Hills, TX
    ·
  • dlk7dlk7 Posts: 1,003
    Did you get it back up to temp yet?

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

·
  • Tight Fit!!!  Yea, it is at 250.  Just hope the Wicked Good makes it through the night!!!
    ·
  • EggRacerEggRacer Posts: 400
    That's a lot of love!
    XLBGE & LBGE
    North Richland Hills, TX
    ·
  • 44 pounds of pig!!!
    ·
  • Great Scott Man!! You got a whole butcher shop in that egg!

·
  • Very ambitious! =D>
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,208
    My grate probe broke and I used the meat probe for a month or so until I got some replacements.  Nice that you can do that.

·