Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for September? We’re ready as ever for football season! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. Either way they’re sure to become a fan favorite! We couldn’t forget about Labor Day...we have recipes and cook out ideas to celebrate the long weekend no matter what you’re doing. And lastly, be sure to cook up a batch (or five) of bacon for National Bacon Day! We can’t wait to fall into cooler weather with you!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Grilled then smoked pork butt

FanOfFanboysFanOfFanboys Posts: 1,874
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
So Sunday I had some people over for a corn hole tourney. I was smoking a butt and one of my buddies called who was coming and said he had started cooking a butt on his grill but needed to finished at my house. I said sure. He had grilled at low temp direct for couple hours. Finished on my BGE for about 4 hours. Came our great. Of course no bark and slightly diff but still good. Anyone done this before? Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Boom

Comments

• AZbgeAZbge Posts: 90
    Can't say that I have.
  • Mike8itMike8it Posts: 468
    I haven't but I would imagine if you got the internal temp up to around 200 it would be pullable. May not have that big of a smoke flavor though.
  • FanOfFanboysFanOfFanboys Posts: 1,874
    edited October 2012
    It was not planned to happen this way. He planned to finish grilling at his house. Spent about 2 hours on his grill and 4-5 on the egg. It pulled very easy. Since they were mixed together couldn't really tell a diff. I was pretty drunk by time they came off so all tasted good.
    Boom
  • What is a corn hole tourney? A card game I hope. :)
  • Corn hole is the game where you throw bean bags at a wooden box with a hole in it. Similar in idea to washers/horseshoes. Usually played in backyards and tailgates.
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
    Ha it can sound bad ha. These are my boards Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Boom
  • toothpicktoothpick Posts: 154
    That's awesome. I wish I had friends who said, "Hey I would love to come, but I just started a butt. Wait. How about I bring it over?" I picture him setting it on a newspaper in the passenger seat next to a 12 pack. Nice-looking corn hole boards.
    toothpick said:
    That's awesome. I wish I had friends who said, "Hey I would love to come, but I just started a butt. Wait. How about I bring it over?" I picture him setting it on a newspaper in the passenger seat next to a 12 pack. Nice-looking corn hole boards.

Ha he had in foil. But he did bring a 12 pack. We had 3 sets of boards. The other two were Gamecock theme, and not camo. We are going to host a tourney with $ involved soon. This was a dry run/excuse to smoke meat and drink beer.
    Boom
  • Thanks for the explanation. Sure looks like fun especially with a few beers and que.
  • toothpicktoothpick Posts: 154
    I'll take any excuse to smoke meat and drink beer. Sounds like you've got some good friends.