Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Butt - Divide and Conquer?

Options
BakerMan
BakerMan Posts: 159
edited September 2012 in Pork

I have cooked a few 8-10lb pork butts and they have turned out well.  I was watching "DIners Drive-Ins and Dives" on the Food Network a couple of weeks ago and a BBQ place in Hawaii  (I know, stay with me) was cooking pork for BBQ in 3-4 lb chunks for 3.5 hours and it got me thinking...

What happens if I cut an 8lb butt in half to create a couple of mini butts?  It seems to me I would reduce the cooking time and increase my bark output.  Also I could start these early in the morning and serve them the same day.

Would the meat cook long enough to get tender?  Has anyone tried this?  Anyone want to "render" an opinion? 

BakerMan - Purcellville, VA "When its smokin' its cookin', when its black its done"

Comments

• Onegrecook
    Options
    There was a post a while ago where someone cut one in half, or butterflies it. I don't recall exactly which and can't find it when I search. I want to say it was about a month ago or so. It seemed to work ok.