Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Nasty Charcoal taste

Options
Justin
Justin Posts: 35
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Dear Eggheads[p]Bought my first egg last night (xl) and had my friends over for steaks. I used the bge charcoal and lit it with the electric iron. The method I used to cook the steaks was the one in the book that came with the egg. I took to temp to 650, cooked each side for about 1.5 min, then let it cook an aditional three min. The steaks were cooked to perfection, very juicy and tender. However, there was a strong charcoal taste in the steaks, strong enough that I couldedn't taste the seasoning I put on the steaks. I'm used to cooking with gas and haven't used charcoal much. What went wrong? I this flavor continues I'm affraid I made a $1200 mistake. Please help!!![p]Thanks
Justin

Comments

• eggor
    eggor Posts: 777
    Options
    Justin ,[p]it wasn't the charcoal that you were tasting its atually the ceramic. Its an aquired taste we have gotten used to but just don't mention it very often...[p]Scott

• Unknown
    Options
    Howdy Justin ,[p]Could be one of two things: you don't like the taste of wood smoke, or more likely, you had what we affectionately refer to as a "moon rock" in your lump.[p]I suspect the latter, as decent lump, which the BGE brand is, will not impart so strong a flavor as to mask seasoning.[p]A Moon Rock is any non-charcoal tidbit in the lump. True rocks are less of a concern, but several times I've found bits of plastic in my lump. Unfortunately, I often find them by smelling something foul in the smoke. It should be a nice clean "campfire" smell before you put your food on.[p]There are some times when you have lump that is not properly carbonized that can be a bit nasty, but still just plain old wood. For those loads of lump, just let it burn a bit longer to get rid of the billowy white smoke and wait for that lovely thin wispy blue smoke. That's the good stuff.[p]How did this fire smell on it's own before you put the food on?[p]bc

• eggor
    Options
    Justin,[p]Just kiddin, the new lump is not quite a finished, ready to use product. You need to let it burn till there is not much smoke coming out of the dome. By the way, if you are gonna rely on that cookbook you are gonna set yourself up for some mistakes.[p]Ask questions on the forum. more helpful than that cookbook.[p]Scott

• Nessmuk
    Nessmuk Posts: 251
    Options
    Justin ,
    Did you use charcoal or lump?[p]Profectionists at BBQ contests light & burn their charcoal in a container separate from their cooker. When the charcoal is burned so that no black surface exists, they transfer it to their cooker.[p]Never use a lighter fluid. Ia a judge smells or tastes lighter fluid, they grade the product a "2".[p]

• Unknown
    Options
    Justin ,[p]You probably didn't let the lump burn long enough before cooking. Always wait until the first dark rancid smoke is gone as this can cause some nasty flavors on your food.
    I'm sure you didn't make a mistake, you just have to get used to how to cook with lump, and how to control the temperatures of the egg. You also have to learn how to not read the cookbook that came with your egg. The only thing good in there (if it's the small green cookbook and manual) is the registration card, send that in, trash the rest, and ask questions here and you'll be all set.[p]TUS

• Justin
    Options
    TheUnStump,[p]Thanks for posting, I let the charcoal burn for at least 1.5 hrs before cooking. Figured that would be enough. Used bge lump charcoal and lit it with the electric iron. So what do you guys really thing about that cookbook[p]Thanks[p]Justin
  • Unknown
    Options
    Justin,
    Eeghads! 1.5 hours is probably about 1.0 to 1.25 hours more than usually needed![p]With lump charcoal, you don't need to let the coals completely "white over" as you do with briquettes (though that is often debated)[p]Interesting...[p]bc

• eggor
    Options
    Justin,[p]man, i'm one of the first to say if there is too much smoke. After 1.5 hours and the smoke was overpowering there is something wrong with your taste buds!!![p]Wait a minute, you say you are using the XL. Most of use a large or small and the lump will pretty much all have had a chance burn off the nasties in that amount of time. [p]Did you get the fire well established in that monster. There was someone else posting that they were not able the fire established around the edges.[p]Scott

• mule
    mule Posts: 152
    Options
    Justin ,
    Try some "Cowboy" brand lump. It isn't real good lump, but we think it may have a less smokey taste when we use it. (We get it at Lowes)
    Maybe the funky tatse had something to do with this being the first cook on the new Egg??
    good luck!![p]mule

• Justin
    Options
    mule,[p]My dad smokes with cowboy and loves it, I will give it a try.[p]Thanks
  • ranger ray
    ranger ray Posts: 812
    Options
    Justin ,
    i can't figure that one out other than something's wrong the batch of charcoal you used...i'm stumped...! don't give up.... the egg is one of the best things i have ever purchased... ray

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    Justin , When I'm looking at doing some high temps, I get the Egg to 250 and let it hold for about 30 minutes, then I let it open up to max. Others posted to let the smoke burn off, "but not at 700 degrees" use the lower temps first. Practice is the fun part of this. I cant think how many racks of ribs I've gone threw just in "testing" gee I'm doing 2 full racks of beef ribs right now, of course its just a test!

• Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Options
    Justin ,
    I have an XL, and have had no problems with Steaks or other meats.
    However, do the following:
    Throw the BGE cookbook away immediately
    Go to the Naked Whiz's site and download a copy of Bill Wise's cookbook
    Pat yourself on the back that you have purchased the worlds best smooker and grill in the world; the BGE
    Watch the forum, and ask for help; these folks are great!
    Welcome!
    Hammer[p]

• Unknown
    Options
    Justin ,
    Same thing happened to me with new BGE and BGE lump. I use several others {including cowboy} too avoid the charcoal taste. I still have most of the BGE charcoal left in the bag from 1 1/2 yrs.ago.