Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How long to smoke Texas-Style Brisket?

Options
DaveM
DaveM Posts: 100
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
Last time I smoked a brisket, it was dry...  This time, I'm using a Bobby Flay Recipe that I just saw on his show "BBQ Addict".  It is served Texas Style over Texas Toast with pickled red onion.  In his recipe, he used an 8# brisket, smoked it on a BGE for 4.5hours, then wrapped it in foil and continued to cook for another 4.  

I ordered a bunch of high-quality meat from a restaurant friend and he gave me a 14# brisket.  Looks really nice.  I've got it all rubbed up, but am unsure how long to cook it.  I'll need to cook it alongside a couple of pork butts as my new grid hasn't arrived, yet :-(

QUESTION - how long do you think I should smoke the 14# brisket?  At "halftime", I'll wrap it up in foil and finish it that way.

Here is our menu.  My BGE, as well as my old Brinkman are gonna be busy!

Atomic Buffalo Turds (ABTs)

Slllooww Smoked Pulled Pork Sliders with Western Carolina Sauce

Bobby Flay’s Tamarind Glazed Duck Tacos

Smoked then Grilled Chicken Wings

Down Under Lamb Lollipops with honey balsamic dipping sauce

Smoked Texas Beef Brisket 

Brewster Baked Beans (Really Boston, but my folks live in Brewster, MA)

--Dave from Leesburg, VA BGE XL, Viking 42", Firepit with $16 grill

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options

A couple of observations-first, great menu-you are gonna be busy in the supervisory role-great eats at the finish-line.  Don't have clue about the Bobby Flay brisket recipe but given the weight, he is likely cooking a flat and probably put some liquid in the foil for the duration.  You have a packer (the whole thing-point and flat-link below is a great tutorial).  Packers cook much differently than flats-much more forgiving due to the high fat content of the point. 

So, if it were me I would cook the packer like your first brisket (which I would guess was a flat) and not go with Bobby.  If you run around 300*F on a calibrated dome you can expect around 1-1.25 hrs/# regardless of method.  And don't slice til ready to eat and always slice against the grain-also separate the point from flat before slicing as the grain run is different in each section.  Just an opinion and we all know what those are worth-

http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/texas_brisket.html 

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • DaveM
    DaveM Posts: 100
    Options
    Thanks for the tips.  I have a CyberQ, so it will be calibrated.  As there is going to be way too much food, what is the best way to reheat brisket?  Last time I made brisket, it wasn't all that bad fresh, but reheated was terribly dry.  We ended up putting it into a sauce and treating it like a braised chuck roast.
    --Dave from Leesburg, VA BGE XL, Viking 42", Firepit with $16 grill
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    Brisket will dry quite quickly-for leftovers many chop it up, mix with Q sauce and make sandwiches with it. I only slice about what will be consumed when right off the BGE but have had good success (with flats-as about all I can get) after the cook by slicing what I want to eat, and adding very little water to it-then heating in the microwave.  Others will reheat vac-sealed bags in hot water (crock pot).  Either save the moisture (vac-seal) or reintroduce moisture and you will get the flavor. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.