Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Where to buy butcher's twine?

Mole351Mole351 Posts: 110
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
does Wal-Mart have it?  hoping I don't have to go to a specialty store or order online.

assuming it has to be butcher's twine to tie meat with when cooking...can't be any type of twine?

Comments

• bigphilbigphil Posts: 1,386
    wegmens 

Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • BrownieBrownie Posts: 1,023
    Anywhere that sells food processing equipment and seasonings should keep it in stock. You may also want to try a restaurant store.
  • Mighty_QuinnMighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    You can use any cotton twine, which is what butchers twine is....Walmart or any supermarket should have butchers twine.
  • SteveWPBFLSteveWPBFL Posts: 1,284
    What about tie wraps?
  • Mole351Mole351 Posts: 110
    Had some at Williams Sonoma...though I'm certain I paid top dollar. Awe well. Thanks all.
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 15,338
    Tie wraps work, as long as you don't melt them.  They're not as sexy as string.  Unless you're into plastic.

• I usually just ask my butcher at Publix, he usually has extra and just gives it to me.

• Probably could use good ole' kite string
  • Mole351Mole351 Posts: 110

Ha - that's great. I'd already done that and wasn't hittin on much in the way of places I could just go pick it up...so I came here. Only place online that showed it in stock was Williams Sonoma - hence the reason I went there. How do you do that pic/link? Gotta learn how to that.
    Sorry, couldn't help myself.  (you know I'm messin' wif ya).  I'm on Skype with a bunch of developers all over the country and we pull this one every once and a while.  Shenanigan central.

It's lmgtfy.com  (Let Me Google That For You .com)

Then obfuscate your link with the "short" link.  Then paste the url.

>:)

• cortguitarmancortguitarman Posts: 2,024
    Mole351 said:

Ha - that's great. I'd already done that and wasn't hittin on much in the way of places I could just go pick it up...so I came here. Only place online that showed it in stock was Williams Sonoma - hence the reason I went there.

How do you do that pic/link? Gotta learn how to that.
    Don't know what he used, but Jing software and a screencast.com account will do it. Easy and free.

Mark Annville, PA
    Yeah, it's free.  No acct necessary.  It all originates from, I think, help desks and support people, and blogs, etc.

Here ya go:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=RTFM

:))

• I bought some at Wal-mart last year from the hardware dept.  It is all cotton and I think it was under $2.

• TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,422
    Sorry, couldn't help myself.  (you know I'm messin' wif ya).  I'm on Skype with a bunch of developers all over the country and we pull this one every once and a while.  Shenanigan central.

It's lmgtfy.com  (Let Me Google That For You .com)

Then obfuscate your link with the "short" link.  Then paste the url.

Gotta love lmgtfy.com  I use it with coworkers all the time.  
    >:)

Any all cotton twine will work.  Be careful, as some 'household' twines are cotton/polyester mix.  

Any all cotton twine will work.  Be careful, as some 'household' twines are cotton/polyester mix.  
    You gotta read the fine print too...because some will say cotton string in big print, and then in the fine print say that they may actually contain polyester.
  • bigguy136bigguy136 Posts: 1,050
    I got mine at Menards. All cotton no die/ color added.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• JGIFFORDJGIFFORD Posts: 50
    BED BATH & BEYOND.
  • stikestike Posts: 15,597
    true butcher's twine is better than just cotton string.  used to be slightly wzxed, or linen cord, which didn't have fuzzy fibers.  that's harder to find these days.

the standard typical cotton can stick to the meat, and leave fuxx being or pull meat away when you remove the string.  most times that may not ba an issue.  but if you hang meat for any length of time to dry (liken pancetta), it's not ideal.  don't tie your roasts too tightly, because that helps keep the stuff from sticking too.

it ain't all the same, but it ain't easy to get the truly better stuff, so you gotta just make do with the cotton crap
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante