Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope you had a great Labor Day and are excited for the start of the NFL this week. If you’re not a sports fan, you can celebrate National Breakfast Month all September and National Cheese Pizza Day on September 5. We can’t wait to share some awesome fall recipes with you all! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

How much pork

ja19412ja19412 Posts: 9
edited August 2012 in Pork
Anyone got a suggestion on how many pork butts to feed around 16. Mixture of men and women. Thanks

Comments

• I borrowed a calculation that suggested a 1/3 pound serving size per person and approx 50% loss by the time you remove the fat and bone.  So for 16, it would be 16/3 = 5.33 of meat which would be 10.7 (5.33 * 2) pounds uncooked.  I used that calculation on a party of 30 earlier this year and had a bunch left over.  I'd say cook two 7 pounders and enjoy the leftovers :)
  • TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 2,956
    I always figured 1/2 to 3/4 pound uncooked per person, depending on the mix of people.  If you are serving a high school football team you probably want closer to a pound per person.  Boston butt will have less waste than a shoulder by about 10% or so.