Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone enjoyed their Fourth of July weekend and is excited for more warm weather grilling! This week, we’ll be making these two burgers: Stuffed Portobello Mushroom and Caribbean Chicken, and also eating lots of these Ice Cream Sandwiches in honor of National Ice Cream Month! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

How long can I hold a picnic shoulder?

jerrypjerryp Posts: 221
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
I bought a picnic shoulder because it was super cheap. I usually cook boston butts for pulled pork and find they take 2-2 1/4 hours per pound consistently at 220 grid temp.  I used this "rule of thumb" for the picnic and the thing is at 183 now(9:24 am).  If I double wrap in heavy foil and throw in some newspaper, will it hold until 3:30-4:00 pm?  Thanks.

Comments

• jerrypjerryp Posts: 221
    ps.  I do plan on taking it to 195 before taking it off the egg.
    I bought a picnic shoulder because it was super cheap. I usually cook boston butts for pulled pork and find they take 2-2 1/4 hours per pound consistently at 220 grid temp.  I used this "rule of thumb" for the picnic and the thing is at 183 now(9:24 am).  If I double wrap in heavy foil and throw in some newspaper, will it hold until 3:30-4:00 pm?  Thanks.

• lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 4,703
    Short answer-you can easily hold for 4-6 hours.  You may see a very slow temp rise once you get into the mid 180's til the low/mid 190's-doesn't always happen but can.  Also you can wait til 200 or so before the foil, towel and cooler event.  You are in great shape-enjoy the end results.
    Louisville
  • gdenbygdenby Posts: 4,171
    Yes. I cook picnics more often that butts, and I have been surprised several times by early finishes.

I'd also suggest letting it go to 200F. When I have removed picnics between 195 - 205, double wrapped in foil and double towelled in a "cooler," I've had up to 160F after 5 hours. Fastest cool down was 140F after 4.

Short answer-you can easily hold for 4-6 hours.  You may see a very slow temp rise once you get into the mid 180's til the low/mid 190's-doesn't always happen but can.  Also you can wait til 200 or so before the foil, towel and cooler event.  You are in great shape-enjoy the end results.
    I am currently at 189, so I have some time until I get to 200. The meat won't dry out at 200?
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 4,703
    You will be fine at 200-but given where you are now and your time-line you can certainly FTC at 195 if you are experienced with that.  That's the beauty of "Q"-whatever you find and enjoy-no set pattern or recipe.  It will be great regardless.
    Louisville
    You will be fine at 200-but given where you are now and your time-line you can certainly FTC at 195 if you are experienced with that.  That's the beauty of "Q"-whatever you find and enjoy-no set pattern or recipe.  It will be great regardless.

I think I'll try letting it go to 200.  It'll give me a little extra time and something new to experience.  Thanks a bunch for the advice.  This is exactly why I like this forum so much.

• XLBalcoXLBalco Posts: 546

I think I'll try letting it go to 200.  It'll give me a little extra time and something new to experience.  Thanks a bunch for the advice.  This is exactly why I like this forum so much.

Fwiw. I cooked one last weekend and pulled at 200 or 201. Foiled it and wrapped it up in a towel and put it in the cooler. When I pulled it 4 hours later it was still hot to touch and very moist. I I probably could of waited another hour plus if I needed to.