Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Pork Shoulder - 4.5lbs -

Options
greekbbq
greekbbq Posts: 5
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
cooking my first pork shoulder bone in - just completed the rub and am getting it to room temp.

Plan is to eat Sunday around 6pm - 225 cook temp is the plan - applewood chips
Planning to take it out 1 hour before dinner, wrap in foil and set in the cooler then dive in.
Questions - 
how long?  
Is 18 hours / overnight too long for this size?
other suggestions - 

Comments

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    Ive only done a couple, but IMHO yes 18 hours is too long. I would go for 9 hours. The good thing is you can foil towel cooler for a while. Ive only needed 4 hours myself.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    225 grid means that your dome has to read 260-275.  If you are at 225 dome then you are going to be about 200 at the grid where you are cooking.  

I would recommend 225 grid temp and that will take you about 1.5 per pound.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I would put it on early in the morning and use 250* dome. Once you are through the plateau, if you aren't done,  you can bump the temp up with no adverse effects.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    @greekbbq man with almost 18,000 posts just told you what to do.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    @greekbbq man with almost 18,000 posts just told you what to do.

Most of those are quipping with stike. Not much substance

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    edited August 2012
    Options
    i just did 3 of these at the same time all between 3 to 4 pounds each went on at 10:45 last night grid temp of 260 came off this morning about 6:30 all 3 at 200 to 210 internal temp at 2am the biggest one was at 160 and the smaller ones at 175 internal , At 6am when i first looked they were ready but i wanted my coffee first lol 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    Besides the obvious mentioned above to give it a rest til Sunday AM-FWIW-if you are looking for the smoke ring-the meat will develop that until the surface temp reaches around 140*F-so right out of the fridge helps.  WRT the smoke flavor-as long as there is smoke and a temperature difference between the meat (colder) and smoke in the BGE, the smoke will adhere right up til time to remove or no more smoke. And small pork butts are much easier to cook than the small brisket flat.  You are good to go-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • greekbbq
    Options
    cooking my first pork shoulder bone in - just completed the rub and am getting it to room temp.

Plan is to eat Sunday around 6pm - 225 cook temp is the plan - applewood chips
    Planning to take it out 1 hour before dinner, wrap in foil and set in the cooler then dive in.
    Questions - 
    how long?  
    Is 18 hours / overnight too long for this size?
    other suggestions - 

• greekbbq
    Options
    hey thanks to all - Lou, Dugan boy, big phil taz and company - will post results tomorrow -