Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re halfway through National Barbecue Month and loving every minute of it. We hope you’ve had some time to try out some new recipes and enjoy a few old favorites as well. If you’d a couple tips on smoking meat, check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Have a great rest of May & get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

How many pork butts will fit...

probe1957probe1957 Posts: 213
edited 7:55PM in EggHead Forum
...on a large Egg? No extender. Did a search and couldn't find an answer.
·

Comments

• Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,283
    probe1957,

Three should fit. Some just lay another grid on top of the butts and pile more on.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • CBBQCBBQ Posts: 610
    It depends on the size of the butts. On a 8-9lb range you should be able to put 3. I've done 6 with an extender. You have to make sure you don't put so much on that you restrict your airflow. It doesn't matter if they are touching or even leaning on each other. They start to shrink almost immediately and will pull away from each other.
    ·
  • RascalRascal Posts: 3,352
    The size of the butts determines how many will fit. If you have a piece of cardboard cut to the cooking area of your grid when you shop, you should have a good idea of what you can handle. Be aware that you need a little space between them, otherwise your cooking time will increasr significantly. Happy cookin'!~~
    ·
  • h20eggh20egg Posts: 168
    I did three good sized ones once no extender, no problem.
    ·
  • WessB has the picture to end all pictures of how many will fit on a large!
    Its a classic and one of my all time favorites.
    ·
  • Grandpas GrubGrandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

I put four 6 to 7 lb butts 'on edge'. I used wooden skewers to keep things vertical. It only took a couple of hours of cooking until they had shrunk enough to lay flat.

GG
    ·

Good option and works well.

Kent
    ·
  • probe1957probe1957 Posts: 213
    I just ordered a grid extender from Amazon because I want to cook 4 butts and figured better safe than sorry. So a follow up question. For monitoring internal meat temp, would I put my probe in a butt on the upper grid or the lower grid? IOW, which will get done first, the meat on the upper or lower grid?

Only on the BGE forum can we discuss probes and butts without someone making a smartass comment. :)
    ·

Probes & butts :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

With indirect cooking, little or no direct lump heat reaching the meat, you will find the higher in the dome the hotter the temperature.

I would probe the smallest piece in the highest place in the egg. Of course checking some of the other cuts with an instant thermometer towards the end of the cook.

GG
    ·
  • WessBWessB Posts: 6,937
    Actually this was on an XL...if this is the pic your are talking about...it was close to 80# if I remember correctly

buttbot.jpg

buttop.jpg
    ·
  • probe1957probe1957 Posts: 213
    Yours is bigger than mine, Wess. :)
    ·
  • WessBWessB Posts: 6,937
    I do have a large as well, but don't think I have any pics of it packed to the gills like that....7-8#ers you should be able to get 4 or 5 without much trouble..on one level...
    ·
  • I always thought that was on a large. I stand corrected but still am in awe!
    ·
  • bmathisbmathis Posts: 1
    I just now came across this thread, but I have done 4 big butts on the Large.  It's a tight fit, but they turned out great! Low and slow around 22-23 hours...  
    ·
  • I just now came across this thread, but I have done 4 big butts on the Large.  It's a tight fit, but they turned out great! Low and slow around 22-23 hours...  
    why so long bmathis.  Is it because of the added mass?  I usually only do 1 at a time but I need to do 4 for a party next saturday.  Teenage boys eat a lot of pork.
    ·
  • I cook 3 10-12 pounders on my large regularly.  No extender, just the plate setter and the grid.  Placement is key, every butt's a little different ;)

·