Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Raising grid

jeffcaputojeffcaputo Posts: 15
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
I need to raise my grid for cook today, any quick ways you know of. I heard putting some empty soda or beer cans on the fire ring can work. I am planning on buying a Woo this week and just need to get thru today

Comments

• MickeyMickey Posts: 16,504
    edited July 2012
    Fire bricks or reg bricks covered in foil. ( just to look better)
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

• DocWonmugDocWonmug Posts: 266
    Red bricks. (Get real bricks, not the concrete ones - real bricks are fired). 48 cents each from Lowe's.
    LBGE
  • QDudeQDude Posts: 622
    Fire bricks or reg bricks covered in foil. ( just to look better)
    Are fire bricks just bricks or are they something different?

A northern Colorado Egghead since 2012!

XL and a Small BGE.

• tactical_66tactical_66 Posts: 197
    A fire brick is typically used in lining furnaces, kilns, fireboxes, and fireplaces. A fire brick is built primarily to withstand high temperature, but will also usually have a low thermal conductivity for greater energy efficiency.
    Fire brick is less robust to being handled a lot. Real brick is already fired, so the heat from an Egg is nothing, and they are tough enough to handle repeatedly.
    LBGE
  • jeffcaputojeffcaputo Posts: 15
    Do you put the brick directly on the fire ring, or do you need to put a grate on the ring, then the bricks, and then a second grate
  • brianwdmnbrianwdmn Posts: 365
    3 bricks, evenly spaced around the top of the ring, then food grate on top of the bricks.
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
  • gdenbygdenby Posts: 4,620
    You need to put the bricks on a lower grill if you are going to cook indirect. Need something to set the blocker for indirect. Direct, no. Just balance the bricks on the fire ring, and place the grid on them.
    I put a lower grid in, then the bricks, then the upper grid. I posted a picture on a post about spatchcock chicken earlier today.
    LBGE
  • BrownieBrownie Posts: 1,023
    I tried the empty cans on my first RG. It didn't work well for me. I think the bricks idea sounds good, and some folks have even posted pics of custom brick holders made from coat hangers.