Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s that time of year again-time to hop on out to your backyard for an EGG hunt. If you’re lucky, you’ll only have to search as far as your patio! Planning on cooking Easter Sunday? Check out our Easter Menu. If you’re looking for a sweet treat to enjoy with the whole family, try at least one of our sweet treats, if not both: Grilled Peeps & Carrot Cupcakes. Lastly, if you’re having company, our Pinterest page has lots of ideas for entertaining. We hope you have an EGGstra tasty holiday!

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Need more smoke....

leechrgleechrg Posts: 19
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Put a butt on this morning and loaded my large egg up with chunks of pecan wood towards the bottom and put a layer of chips on top. I get heavy smoke for maybe 30 mins then nothing. What am I doing wrong?
·

Comments

• BoilereggerBoileregger Posts: 322
    Nothing. Just because you don't see big heavy white smoke doesn't mean you're not smoking. The wood chunks will smolder in the egg, but not catch fire like in an offset. So as long as you have the aroma of the wood, you'll end up with a nice product.
    ·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 5,916
    edited July 2012
    +1 with boilermaker-and I happen to be partial to chips (no scientific reason-just have a butt load in inventory).  Put them throughout the lump load-where there is fire there is smoke.  I unscientifically equate a good handful of chips to a chunk-but chips have more surface area-just to change it up:)
    Louisville
    ·
  • leechrgleechrg Posts: 19
    Gotcha. Thanks
    ·