Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Timing burnt ends and foiling/resting brisket

Options
Kimmykins
Kimmykins Posts: 12
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
Hi all. I'm new here to the forum and have been lurking for some time while I wait for my BGE to arrive. In my research, some have suggested separating the point from the flat once the brisket is removed in order to throw the point back on the smoker for burnt ends. Meanwhile, others say the meat should be foiled immediately to rest in the cooler. Furthermore, shouldn't the meat rest before it is cut? How would one separate the flat and point and still follow all these suggestions? Am I over thinking this? What methodology do most of you follow if you are attempting burnt ends? Also, I have read several opinions as to follow-up cook times for burnt ends... How long do most of you smoke additionally when you cook burnt ends?

Thanks in advance for all your help. This board is such a fount of knowledge!

Comments

• seanwiley
    seanwiley Posts: 27
    Options
    A couple thoughts after many, many briskets:
    • If you are wrapping the brisket with additional fluids in the 2nd half of the cook, then I have had some success separating the point & flat from the beginning. If you are not wrapping, then don't separate because it will dry
    • If you haven't separated, then go ahead and slice them apart as soon as you can handle it. The meat can be pretty hot, but some gloves will allow you to do it immediately. Loosely wrap and rest the flat. If you haven't sliced into the muscle then it won't start drying out in the short time you just spent separating
    • I roughly cube or chunk the point and remove any large chunks of fat that didn't render. I mix a little sauce with some honey and mix it in with the meat.This will glaze up the cubes help seal in some of the moisture. Almost like giving each piece its own bark.
    • regarding time, I sample freely and remove when I can't wait any more :-) usually within an hour
  • FxLynch
    FxLynch Posts: 433
    Options
    My method is to separate the point and the flat after the flat is to my desired temp/tenderness.  

Take inside, separate the point from the flat by cutting through the fat that connects them.  Wrap the flat in foil and either let rest a while, or put in a cooler if you have a while before you eat.

Chop up the point into one inch cubes, put in a foil pan and re-season with your rub and maybe some liquid (I throw in some apple juice or beer, and sometimes worcestershire sauce). Take it back out to the Egg, I add another chunk of wood to the fire, then just put them back on for up to 4 hours. I usually do 3 hours but have done as little as 2 hours.  While they are smoking, every hour I go out and stir them to expose new sides to the smoke.  

Frank