Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
April showers bring...National BBQ Month! Are you ready for a month full of briskets, pulled pork and chicken wings? We hope so, because it’s almost here! Keep an eye out for some of our favorite BBQ recipes we’ll be sharing with you throughout the month of May.

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Last of the In Progress pics... looking for some advice as well

XLBalcoXLBalco Posts: 562
edited May 2012 in EGG Table Forum

Well I wasnt going to post any pics til I was done... but im very impatient.  Tonight I cut the table into shape.  All that is left to do now is:  Plane the table top( I screwed up on the first board and it is sitting about an 1/8 high), also going to maybe plane a few other areas.  Sand entire table and route all the edges as well.  Also need to fasten some boards a bit more secure.

Then it is on to finishing.  Definitely going to leave all natural and just Urethane.  Been researching different threads and it seems the marine spar urethane might be the way to go....  any last minute recommendations?

·

Comments

• XLBalcoXLBalco Posts: 562
    major fail here.  damn it.
    ·
  • Smoker_GuruSmoker_Guru Posts: 372
    Very nice looking table but I don't know much about sealers.
    ·
    me neither...  just wondering if the cost is worth upgrading to the marine urethane.
    ·
  • tazcrashtazcrash Posts: 1,851
    It does look really nice. 
    i had your other thread marked to follow. Still looking to see what you do in that big open space.

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
    ·
    me neither...  just wondering if the cost is worth upgrading to the marine urethane.
    Just from reading the other threads I do think the marine urethane does last much longer. However my thought would be that the top is going to take some abuse, lets face it, it is a Charcoal BBQ tabled. I would rather use something a little less expensive and plan on redoing in a couple of years giving me the opportunity to sand/clean up my top again.
    ·

thanks taz.. it is just going to remain open.. down the line i may put a door up or even get another egg!

i didnt like the look of a solid wood door to tell you the truth i think i mentioned earlier.  i tried that and also made a 2drawer fascade type door and didnt like that either.  for now, a plastic bin will sit in there.

ideally i will find maybe some sort of stained glass or something decorative and use that to build the door around.

hoping to wrap this up in less than 2 weeks and get it to the deck.

i have been having some other pretty crazy ideas though.... not gonna share those right now- we'll see what happens :)

·
  • eggoeggo Posts: 433
    edited May 2012
    readyseal.com
    This is what I used on mine. Turned out good for me. On cypress wood.
    Eggo in N. MS
    ·
  • onelikearockonelikearock Posts: 115
    Minwax Helmsman Spar Urethane  Home Depot 1 Qt is enough to do 2 to 4 coats. I did 2 and looks good and feels durable.
    Chesapeake, VA
    ·
  • galengalen Posts: 51

Agree with "onelikearock" that is what I used and it looks great and wears well.  I live in Hawaii.  Lots of sun. salt and salt water and it stand up well.

Aloha

·
  • Sgt93Sgt93 Posts: 704

I live in Hawaii.  

Aloha

I hate you.  Just throwing that out there. 
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A bunch of Webers - A bunch of accessories - Ceramic Grill Works 2-Tier 
    Follow me on Twitter & Instagram: @SSgt93
    ·
    thanks for the tips... kinda stalled on this as of late as i am not looking forward to sanding.  think i am going to start tomorrow  night and get this done this week!
    ·
  • TurkleTurkle Posts: 5
    Teak oil is another great option.
    ·
    well i finished routing the top tonite...  going to sand it down one more time and the rest of the table where needed..  then the staining starts.. ended up buying  Z Spar Captain's & Flagship.  hopefully i will start it sunday night once the cool off starts but if not monday.... looking to wrap it up by next weekend.  this thing has just drug out! 
    ·
  • Nice looking table!
    LBGE And MINI Egg
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 13,677
    Looks great!  Get a cover.

·
  • tazcrashtazcrash Posts: 1,851
    Glad to see you back at it.
    Cant wait to see it stained.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
    ·

Thanks! It's been an undertaking with the wife due in 10 weeks and twins that'll be 2 this month.  I missed my window of opportunity to finish this about 5 weeks ago!  hopefully i can get it done in the next 10 days!

any thoughts on where to get a custom cover made?

·
    Not sure why I thought that once I got to the staining stage I would be in the home stretch. Lol. Anyways, got the first coat on everything and used an antire quart of Zspar flagship by Pettit and it is pretty awesome stuff. Hopefully I will only need 1 more quart since it wont go on as heavy but I am doubting it.
    ·

Here is one place for custom covers:

http://www.grillwraps.com

·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 13,677
    We bought some outdoor fabric and sewed one up.  Came out great and was cheap.  The price you'll pay to buy a cover will cover the cost of a sewing machine, and the fabric will be about $30.

·
    nice.. i gotta hit my sister up to do the sewing!
    ·