Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re halfway through National Barbecue Month and loving every minute of it. We hope you’ve had some time to try out some new recipes and enjoy a few old favorites as well. If you’d a couple tips on smoking meat, check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Have a great rest of May & get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

First cook on the medium BGE

my65falconmy65falcon Posts: 17
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
Ok so everyone has told me not to make pizza first, so what do y'all think I should start out cooking on my first go at it?
·

Comments

• joe@bgejoe@bge Posts: 394
    There is a school of thought that you shouldn't do a high temp cook for your first cook to help your gasket life.  I personally did steaks my first time out and had no issues with my gasket - but maybe I just got lucky.  A lower temp cook like Tweev recommended is more optimal. 

·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,227

Here's a great link to many things BGE-check out the recipe for spatchcock chix-you will never go back...

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm 

Louisville
    ·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,227
    I was of the old beer can chix school til I went "spatchcock"-much easier and more moist.  Ribs, burgers, chix-adult beverages.  Sounds like a winner all the way around. Enjoy:)
    Louisville
    ·
  • ShadowNickShadowNick Posts: 519
    @Tweev_tip ; you owe me a new keyboard :)
    Chicago, Illinois
    ·
  • joe@bgejoe@bge Posts: 394

Actually, I like my dark meat like I like my women:  around 200.
    =))

·
  • brian4206brian4206 Posts: 19
    My first cook was a sittin' chicken. I stuck with chicken till I got the hang of using my egg. It's cheaper than most other meats so I wasn't nervous about ruining it while I was learning.
    ·
  • DIXIEDOGDIXIEDOG Posts: 109
    Chicken is a good start but I'm partial to a big ol' butt myself
    ·
  • my65falconmy65falcon Posts: 17
    What about ribs? Are they easy enough?
    ·
  • Phoenix824Phoenix824 Posts: 243
    Ribs was my first cook.    Gave me a chance to really learn how to use the egg and starting with low heat and adjusting to get it to 250 and hold taught me a lot.
    Steve Van Wert, Ohio XL BGE
    ·
  • jay75jay75 Posts: 153
    @tweeve-tip, damn man! Lay off da pipe already huh!
    @my65falcon, just cook everything you feel like eating, don't worry about it, nothing you do will be worse than the last thing you grilled,.. And if this is the first thing you grill, it will be, but the first step toward, the best BBQ you will ever taste!
    ·
  • NewportlocalNewportlocal Posts: 474
    Congratulations on the egg!
    ·
  • my65falconmy65falcon Posts: 17
    Thanks all, I can't wait to get it less than two weeks to go!
    ·