Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

stall question

gooddogjudgegooddogjudge Posts: 95
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
at approximately what temp does the stall occur.  My butts stalled at 154 for at least 2 hours this morning, now i'm approaching 180.  Is there another stall coming?
·

Comments

• lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,707
    Stall usually around 160*F and lasts (in my experience) for much longer than two hours-but each hunk has its own characteristics-and yes, I have seen another stall around 180 for a couple of hours, but not in all cases.  I run with around 250*F(+/-) on the dome as you can power through a stall with a high enough cook temp-search "turbo butts".
    Louisville   L & S BGEs 
    ·
  • thank you, kind sir.  it may have been more than 2 hours at 154...was that temp when I awoke and stayed that way for a good while.  I plan to power through if a second stall emerges...still have chicken to cook, followed by hot dogs. 
    ·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,707
    Sounds like an outstanding plan to me-goona be good eats all around:)
    Louisville   L & S BGEs 
    ·
  • MudholeMudhole Posts: 26
    I'm in the middle of a stall now. 5 lb. butt, turbo cookin at 275* on a LBGE with a Stoker, the butt is crusing at 169*, and has been for an hour and a half...
    ·
  • Rolling EggRolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    at approximately what temp does the stall occur.  My butts stalled at 154 for at least 2 hours this morning, now i'm approaching 180.  Is there another stall coming?
     This is what most eggheads refer to as the plateau. They do occur at different temps. I have known some who have reported seeing two diff plateaus during one cook. Enjoy your turbo butts. I cooked three 8 pounders a few weeks ago, in 6 hours. They were very good!
    ·