Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Wellington on the Egg

Options
Squeeze
Squeeze Posts: 717
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK...So Tammy and I are becoming hooked on that Hell's Kitchen Show. We saw them make Beef Wellington the other night. So I looked up a recipe and saw that it is pretty simple. Has anyone tried this on the egg and if so, did the puff pastry take on a lot of smoke? Could be an Eggtoberfest dish in the making here...
Kevin Jacques
The University of Que L.L.C. ®
Killen, AL
www.uofque.com

Take Your Taste Buds to School!

Comments

• Peanut
    Peanut Posts: 75
    Options
    Squeeze,
    I attempted a pork tenderloin with a puff pastry once the meat was grilled. I did not have luck with it. The bottom burned/ the top was not cooked fully but it gave the pork great flavor. I had the Egg at 350---but remember, I am no chef! LOL. I certainly wish you luck. I am sure yours will delight us all! Let us know how it turns out.

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    Squeeze,[p]I've done it. The presentation was fabulous, but it's not an easy dish, or an inexpensive one if you get decent pate. There wasn't a noticable smoke flavor in the pastry, but I let the cooker stabalize for a long time before I put it in to minimize the smoke. As a result of that, the meat didn't get much of a smokey flavor. Also, the bottom of the pastry got kind of soggy from the combination of meat juices, and the mushrooms/pate treatment, even though I cooked off as much of the liquid from the shrooms as I could without them getting overcooked. I'd raise it up off whatever you're cooking it on and maybe that would help a bit.[p]I took a pic and it was absolutely gorgeous, but unfortunately they just switched the way I access my shared drives from home and I haven't figured out how to get it to the server yet. [p]Personally, it was a lot of work for something that was beautifully presented, but didn't have the WOW factor enough for me to do again. It was fun to try, though![p]Tonia
    :~)

• EggMaster
    EggMaster Posts: 37
    Options
    Squeeze,
    I have done this before on my egg. You definitely need to press your pate'(my wife makes a portabella/garlic pate') with cheese cloth or something to get out as much moisture as possible. I would also suggest an indirect cook with another pizza stone to cook the wellington on at 325-350f. The pastry is fragile and can burn easily. Go for it and have fun. Worst case pull the pastry off and slice it for steaks with mushrooms:). It will also work best with a peeled tenderloin;).

• Squeeze
    Options
    EggMaster,
    Thanks for the suggestions. I think I might make a more simple version sans pate. Will keep everyone up to date on how it goes.

Kevin Jacques
    Killen, AL
    www.uofque.com

• Squeeze
    Options
    QBabe,
    Thanks for the tips. It looks so good on TV (I have never actually had it) that I may have to try it this week. Thanks for the tips! Hope all is well in Florida and hope to see you in Atlanta in October!

Kevin Jacques
    Killen, AL
    www.uofque.com