Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tilapia and Veggies 4-21-12

Options
Doc_Eggerton
Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
This was just something we had hanging around in the freezer.  Turned out so good we will be doing it again.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

Comments

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    Hey man looks good. Cooked the same thing Saturday night.

? Did you just let the handle of your fish basket stick out your egg?

XLBGE 
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    Nope, never even attached the handle, just wore an Oveglove and flipped it using the spot where the handle would have attached.  Just fit in the Large.  The image you see here is without the detachable handle.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    Detachable handle!! Genius! I'll have to get one that does thar

XLBGE 
  • Smoker_Guru
    Smoker_Guru Posts: 372
    Options
    Doc, how did you cook the fish, direct/indirect, what temp, how long? That looks really good!! I would like to try that.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    Marinated in teriyaki, cut with some soy, for about an hour.  Did direct on raised grid, at about 350, 5 minutes to a side.

• Smoker_Guru
    Smoker_Guru Posts: 372
    Options
    Thanks, I will give them a try. They sound really good!
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    You should change your name to Doc Veggerton.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    I will tell a story about our high ratio of veggies to meat.  About the time I bought the first BGE last December I had a regularly scheduled physical.

My glucose level was 125, one point short of being called diabetic.

Had another physical last week, 12 pounds lighter and glucose 91, right in the normal zone.  Even better results for my wife.

The BGE has let us execute that elusive "life style change"  they talk about, without suffereing.

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Doc, that is great man. I am trying to lose a few pounds as well. Veggies on the egg are so good. I need to get a veggie wok though.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    Congrats on that doc. That change is not always the easiest thing.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • alex_a
    alex_a Posts: 17
    Options
    Nice work Doc and am glad you are healthier.  I haven't tried veggies on the egg except for asparagus.  I will be shopping for a basket to cook up some veggies!!
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    We vary from time to time, but the basic formula is carrot chips, zucchini, sweet peppers, and onions.  Toss in other stuff from time to time, and of course different things done on the wok.

Our ratio is about 50-50 to 66-33 favoring veggies to meat for two meals a day.  Breakfast is either a fruit whey smoothie or and egg and sprouted toast.  No snacking in between.

The wife is religious about it, and ha lost over 30 pounds (looking skinny), I cheat a little and still got good results.

I don't think we would have succeeded without the BGEs giving us such tasty meats and veggies.

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    Doc, my wife has gestational diabetussss and I don't know if the numbers are apples and apples but after her sugar drink, she had a glucose number of 202. Through diet change, we have kept her numbers down and have not needed insulin at all. The cornerstone of the diet is grilled and wokked veggies on the egg. It's the only meal Tanya doesn't miss her carbs.

Congrats on your improved life. I like hearing success story's from fellow floridians.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    Hooah!  This is one of a couple aspects to Egging that does not get enough press.