Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

From bellies to bacon with pics!

exspoexspo Posts: 51
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
I visited a local farm and picked up a couple of fresh pork bellies. This is a picture of the boar. His job is to eat, sleep and attend to the ladies. That's all I'm going to say about that. In this picture, he's fast asleep. It's 11 am.

The bellies were all fresh. 

Bellies going in for brining

7 days later, all cured

Onto the egg for smoking - hickory chips. About 2 hours at 200 deg

All done! Delicious!

IMG_0123.JPG 233.4K
IMG_0122.JPG 200.3K
IMG_0129.JPG 190.5K
IMG_0130.JPG 190.3K
IMG_0132.JPG 166.3K
IMG_0134.JPG 240.7K
·

Comments

• Hi54puttyHi54putty Posts: 1,496
    Looks great
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
    ·
  • jerrypjerryp Posts: 226
    Do you use salt petre?  Can you cold smoke them?  Also, how long will the bacon keep in the fridge?
    ·
  • exspoexspo Posts: 51
    @jerryp

Didn't use salt peter. I didn't cold smoke because i wasn't real sure i could keep the fire going at a temp of 80deg. there might be others on this forum who would know how to do that. I am freezing one of the finished bellies and the other will keep the week i'm sure.

·
  • jerrypjerryp Posts: 226

I've been wanting to try making bacon, but I'm not sure where to buy the fresh bellies.  Also, how hard is it to slice into breakfast bacon thickness.  I do like thick cut bacon, but would want to have the slices about 1/8 inch thick.  The meat slicer I have at my disposal is old and corny, barely cuts brisket.  Thanks for the advice.

·
    i found fresh bellies at a local farm. it is not something i found in my local grocery store. 

i don't have a meat slicer but i have a damn sharp knife and was able to cut the slices at an acceptable thickness. if you want to go thinner then you need a real meat slicer. Personally, I thought they tasted great and didn't require a knife to eat so that works for me.

·
  • UrbanEggUrbanEgg Posts: 34
    Talk about Documenting the process!

Where I'm from, pork belly is practically currency and you sir, are a very rich man!

Is this your standard process? Is there anything you would have done differently or recommend?

Thanks for sharing, fantastic post!

·
  • MillsyMillsy Posts: 104

"His job is to eat, sleep and attend to the ladies"

I love it

·
  • =P~
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences -
    You can find me on Facebook & Instagram, too! 
    ·
    @UrbanEgg

This is my first time so I don't think it qualifies as a standard process yet :)
    It came out well from my perspective. I'd also like to try a dry rub cure as well as cold smoking, but for now I have 3 lbs if bacon to get through!
    This is the kind of stuff that I never dreamed of doing before getting an egg!
    ·
  • UrbanEggUrbanEgg Posts: 34
    Keep us posted. I would love to try this myself. Enjoy the bacon!
    ·