Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

So, the neighbor looked at the egg and said...

Options
cortguitarman
cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
How is that different than my weber? Boy, did he get an education.
Mark Annville, PA

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,676
    Options
    Not a good question to ask an EggHead....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• cortguitarman
    Options
    It is a good question if you've got time!
    Mark Annville, PA
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Options
    So after you slapped him, what did you say?
  • cortguitarman
    Options
    I think I said that I can taste my food instead of lighter fluid. Then I showed Jim how it worked. Hr billed at the cost until I explained that I killed a $500 gasser every 5 years and this is the last grill I'll ever buy. My egg will pay for itself.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • mikey5874
    mikey5874 Posts: 86
    Options
    You gotta love neighbors. They made fun of my MHP gasser 10 years ago, and now they look at the egg sideways. (I still like my MHP)
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I was grilling out front and a lady walked by with her dog, I exchanged pleasantries, she did too.. then did a double take. She said "hey my husband has a green egg too! We love it!". Haha.. it was my 2nd cook and nice.
    Anyone in Vallejo with an egg.. it might have been your wife hehe.
  • greennewb
    greennewb Posts: 62
    Options
    To be honest you can cook "hot and fast" stuff on a Weber just the same as an egg.  But you can't "snuff" the fire out and save the coals.  And you can't cook at low temperatures.
  • gte1
    gte1 Posts: 379
    Options
    To be honest you can cook "hot and fast" stuff on a Weber just the same as an egg.  But you can't "snuff" the fire out and save the coals.  And you can't cook at low temperatures.

I agree, and a roasted chicken on the webber is great. I can't replicate the skin on the egg. Egg is way more versatile though.
    George
  • hogsfan
    hogsfan Posts: 128
    Options
    I actually think you can snuff the fire and save the coals a lot easier on the kettle. Close the vents and fire is out in 5 minutes and the thing is completely cold in 30 minutes. Eggs are great cookers but there are other good cookers out there too and Webers are some of them.
  • cortguitarman
    Options
    I wasn't knocking the Weber. It would have been my choice if there were no eggs. I just love the versatility of my egg and the warranty.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Garlic
    Garlic Posts: 40
    Options
    The egg won't rust out.
  • Gezr
    Gezr Posts: 154
    Options
    When I got back from SE Asia in 1968 I bought a large Weber kettle for $48, more than I had ever spent on a grill before. But it was a great grill and I learned a lot from it. The instructions said not to burn wood in it, but I figured that they wouldn't come and take it away from me if I did and so I started adding chunks for smoking.

I still have that grill. The legs and wheels are gone, it's perched on rocks, and the bottom vents are missing, but I can still use it. Now I don't use charcoal in it, just burn wood down to coals and grill over that for a quick and hot.

Recently I bought a large egg then added a small. I was able to spend much more money and enjoy much more versatile cooking and haven't used the Weber since, but for sentimental reasons haven't mustered up the nerve to throw it out. I love my old Weber, We've kinda grown old together.
    If you don't think too good, don't think too much.

Afton, VA
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    I have never owned a Weber but according to my brother his does not seal tight enough to save the coals.

Gerhard