Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eye of Round

Options
greenmachine
greenmachine Posts: 11
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
My wife came home with a beef eye of round roast.  Anybody have any ideas for how to cook this thing?  Most of what I've read indicates they are tough and dry, so I was wondering if it would be a good idea to smoke it due to a lack of fat.  I was also thinking of getting creative and involving bacon somehow...

Comments

• Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Options
    Give it a lite smoke and slice it very thin. Should have a nice beefy flavor.
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • greenmachine
    Options
    Thanks!  So it would be good for sandwiches?  What temp would you recommend?
  • XLBalco
    XLBalco Posts: 607
    Options

i have only cooked these in a crock pot thus far and they are pretty awesome..

i cook it for 6-8 hours with a package of italian seasoning and a jar of pepperchini's..i shred all the beef in there and toast some vienna rolls with garlic and butter and it makes for some great sandwiches...

havent tried to cook one on the egg yet

• greenmachine
    Options
    That sounds really good.  I really like smoke flavor, so maybe what I'd do is smoke it at a real low temp for an hour and then transfer it to the crock pot. 

Do you dump in any beef broth or water or anything in the crock pot with the other stuff?
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    I'd cook it to medium rare (internal 125-130) and slice it for sandwiches or eat it straight up.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Options
    green,

That sounds like a pretty good plan. Let us know how it turns out.
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • greenmachine
    Options
    Ok- I'll give it a go tomorrow after church and I'll let you guys know how it turns out tomorrow night.  I'm at home all week with my 8 month old daughter (semi-batching it) so I'll be doing a couple meals a day on the egg.  I've already stocked up on charcoal, so I'm ready to roll.
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    Definitely, don't over cook it, it's best at medium rare.  Also, eye of round doesn't have a lot of flavor so I like to either 1) use a very strong rub or 2) inject with a solution.

Here's a rub I like using for eye of round (don't use all of it, obviously):
    2 tablespoon Paprika
    2 teaspoon Salt
    2 teaspoon Onion powder
    2 teaspoon Garlic powder (granulated garlic works great too)
    2 teaspoon Cayenne
    1 1/2 teaspoon White pepper
    1/2 teaspoon Black pepper
    1 teaspoon Dried thyme
    1 teaspoon Oregano

And here's one I did using store bought stuff:  http://www.nibblemethis.com/2011/07/creole-roast-beef-wraps.html
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • mikey5874
    mikey5874 Posts: 86
    Options
    The garbage can comes to mind, or better yet drop off to homeless shelter.
  • floatingbuzzard
    Options
    Clod is my man on one of those. Did a 15 pounded for 13.5 hrs. at 250-275. Internal temp 205 and pulled, foiled, toweled, and coolered for 3 hours. It was the consistence of a butt, but had a really beefy steak kick. I am a clod man for life. I put my favorite rub all over it before it went in.
    "I'm to drunk to taste this chicken!" - Colonel Sanders. Memphis, TN
  • greenmachine
    Options
    Well, I tried it and learned a few things.  By the way, I'm still
    learning how to cook meat, so if I did anything totally stupid, call me
    out so I don't make the same mistake next time.  Balco, the grocery
    store was out of both Italian seasoning and the little peppers, so that
    was a dead end.  Unfortunately, I got the awesome rub recipe provided
    above too late. 

I cut a few slits in the roast and put garlic cloves and pearl onions
    inside, brushed it with olive oil, salted and peppered it.  I got the
    egg up to about 500 and seared all sides.  Then brought the temp down
    and I smoked it for about two hours at 200.  I took it inside and thew
    it in the crock pot with some beef broth, pearl onions, and potatoes. 
    It sat in there for about another four hours on low. 

When it was done, I pulled it and mixed in some kosher salt, fresh
    pepper, and some other spices and served it on some fresh sourdough rolls with
    BBQ sauce. 

It definitely needs a good rub- it was pretty much flavorless when it was
    done until I seasoned the pulled meat, although it did have a nice smokey flavor.  The way I prepared it, it's noticeably dryer than a pork butt or
    shoulder.  Overall, it was edible but surely not my favorite meat.  I guess if we were having company and the bank account was empty I'd do it again with a good rub and smoke it on my egg all day.

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    The garbage can comes to mind, or better yet drop off to homeless shelter.
    Huh?
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Options
    Choke - I am guessing he is not a fan of the cut.  Neither am I.  
  • greenmachine
    Options
    Well, that makes three of us.