Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Here are some of our new favorite non-beef burgers: Italian Turkey Burger, Grilled Tuna Burger and Goat Cheese Portobello Burger. You’ll want to perfect these before football season starts up in a few weeks! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Turbo cook Brisket?

billyraybillyray Posts: 1,115
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum

Has anyone turbo cooked brisket? Can you get decent results, like those that have done butts this way?

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small and waiting on a mini

Comments

• troutgeektroutgeek Posts: 455
    The only way I would speed up a brisket is to crutch it at plateau (about 160ish). Brisket is not as forgiving as pork.
    Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber 22.5" One-Touch - Weber Smokey Joe
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 13,982
    IMO brisket is the toughest of all cooks, where that butt is in the very easy group.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini.... 5th Salado EggFest is March 14, 2015

• DevDaveDevDave Posts: 40

I've done 2hr open - 3-4hr foiled cooks on Brisket - Brisket is definately finicky when I rush things, and every one is a surprise waiting to be opened, it may not be to my liking, even though the guests LOVE them.  I almost always have a backup plan if it's for a group, (Ribs / Appys), if I'm rushing it.

I do love to use a time crutch when I can - so I get sleep at night :)  No DigiQ's here.

• hot and fast brisket is all I do any more, 350 for 3 hrs or to 165, then foil (double bottom layer) then 2 hrs until 195, (I take it a little higher than typical 185-190 for low and slow) help breakdown the connective tissue, then in a cooler wrapped in towels for a hr or so. When you unwrap, foil is full of juice!! I only use full packers and I put a lot of wood chips and chunks to get as much smoke in before the meat hits 140, have had a good smoke ring most of the time.

Have fun,

Joe

• billyraybillyray Posts: 1,115
    Are your full packers in the 12 to 15 lb. range?
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small and waiting on a mini
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 13,982
    Joe is the fat up or down? And at the expense of provokeing VI I would like to invite you to Salado next Saturday week for the Salado EggFest.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini.... 5th Salado EggFest is March 14, 2015

• BuckeyeBobBuckeyeBob Posts: 614
    This was actually a BGE question I had too. I usually do just flats and with my old Weber smoker, I did it very similar to the way Plano described. Rub it. Cook at 350 until it hits 165, which usually took 2-3 hours. Then, wrap in foil with a little beef broth and cook until I could insert a thermometer probe with no resistance. As he mentions, lots of juice in the foil which I would then mix some with the sauce I was going to use. Downside is not much bark but done quickly and this method definitely helps keep the flat from drying out which was the problem I had when I would do low and slow.

Buckeye Bob
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • Fat side down, as mentioned not as heavy bark but still enough. Thks for the invite to Salado, have a spring turkey hunt planned.
    Joe
  • travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,292
    I've done several(on accident) and they turned out GREAT. 13lbs in about 5-8 hrs. The temp was unknown due to leaving the BGE and coming home to high temps. I have since raised my cooking temp to about 3-325 dome temp. Its much quicker.  
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.