Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
As we round out National BBQ Month, we hope you’ve gotten to try some new recipes that will keep you cooking all summer long. Check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

"$ittin" Chicken

bamafan62bamafan62 Posts: 132
edited February 2012 in Poultry
Received one of the above.  I wa$ planning on preparing like a $pachock ($p).  I wa$ then going to $ew the back with twine and place the Chicken on the above.  Think that will work?  Do I cook direct or indirect at 350 degree$?

Thank You,
Phil
·

Comments

• What is a sittin chicken? A stand?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • GatoGato Posts: 766
    edited February 2012
    No need to spatchcock (butterfly) the chicken if your placing it on a stand. No benefit
    Geaux Tigers!!!
    ·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,300
    That's what I was going to say. Serious though try the chicken legs up on the stand if you can

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • bamafan62bamafan62 Posts: 132
    Thank you.  Little $teven plea$e tell me more about "tying the leg$ up".

Phil
    ·
  • bamafan62bamafan62 Posts: 132
    I forgot $omething.  Temp and direct or indirect?

Phil
    ·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,300
    You don't have to tie the legs up. Just cut a bit of the backbone out of the bird so you can start it on the stand. Dark meat is up in the hotter part of the egg and cooks to a higher temp, fat from the back end bastes the white meat and skin. I am beginning to sound like a broken record here, or should I say scratched CD

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • mustgrillmustgrill Posts: 141

How about chicken with a can of beer up it's butt?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2h6bkBUsEyM

Located in Western North Carolina
    ·
  • DOCEDDOCED Posts: 69
    I like the idea of placing the bird feet up. I was thinking of spatchcocking a chicken then stuffing with herbs, onion etc (dealer's choice) and using bamboo skewers to close it,cook in slightly raised "lying down"position to make it easier to  serve,give some additional flavor and it would look cool coming to the table.Anyone tried it this way? Beer can with some beer left in it up the birds butt is mighty fine also.
    ·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 5,113
    The point of the beer can chicken is to "steam" the meat with the beer in hopes of making it more juicy. I cannot speak to going feet up on the stand, but I will personally never go any way but spatchcock for a whole chicken now. My beer can chickens have never been as moist as my SC chickens.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
  • billyraybillyray Posts: 1,121
    Read Naked Whiz's Informatiom Central White papers for beer can chicken myth. The beer doesn't steam as the temp. doesn't get hot enough to boil the beer.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small and waiting on a mini
    ·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 5,113
    Steam or not, I like the word myth. Bottom line I don't think it is as juicy as spatchcock.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
  • billyraybillyray Posts: 1,121
    Agreed
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small and waiting on a mini
    ·
  • XLBalcoXLBalco Posts: 570

beercan or pop can - it doesnt matter... ive done sierra mist instead of beer and there is no discernible taste, texture, moisture, etc

i realized this when i went to an "Egg Class/Fest"

i put it to the test vs spatchcocked and spatchcoked for the most part was exactly the same if not a little juicier.

even if you want to call it even- it is less effort to spatchcock than beer can imo

·
  • mustgrillmustgrill Posts: 141
    I am not sure if it does anything or not but it does look cool and your friends will be amazed when they see that chicken sittin on that can looking so good and smelling even better. It's all about the presentation? :D
    Located in Western North Carolina
    ·
  • jjfptajjfpta Posts: 1
    Very new to the EGG.  What to try the beer can chicken.  What temp and direct or indirect heat?  About how long?  
    ·
  • cortguitarmancortguitarman Posts: 2,024
    The beauty of the sitting chicken is that you don't have to use beer. You can use lemon or lime juice. Apple juice also works well. Save the beer for drinking!
    Mark Annville, PA
    ·