Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Corned Beef

Options
IrishDevl
IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
edited February 2012 in Forum Feedback
So probably not an egg cook, but has anyone made their own corned beef?  Charcuterie has a recipe that seems relatively easy and take approx 5 days for completion.  I was at my butcher yesterday and he told me that it takes him 16 days to make his corned beef.  If anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear them.  Thx

Comments

• daveyray72
    Options
    I have cured briskets for corned beef and pork for canadian bacon many times.  Make sure that you follow the cure to weight amounts EXACTLY, and also allow for the proper amount of time for the cure to penetrate the meat based on the actual size of the piece of meat...not some figure in a book.  1/4" penetration per day is what I go by plus I add a day or two for good measure.  Very hard to "over-cure".  A 2" thick brisket, by my method, would cure for 5 days or longer. (1/4" per day from top and bottom).  I do 3" pork loins for 12-14 days.

Charcuterie is a great book BTW!
    Love smoking chicken...but they are hard to keep lit ;-) http://daveyrayland.wordpress.com/ Small Egg / Weber OTG 22" / CharGriller Trio / Masterbuilt 30" Electric
  • daveyray72
    Options
    I have cured briskets for corned beef and pork for canadian bacon many times.  Make sure that you follow the cure to weight amounts EXACTLY, and also allow for the proper amount of time for the cure to penetrate the meat based on the actual size of the piece of meat...not some figure in a book.  1/4" penetration per day is what I go by plus I add a day or two for good measure.  Very hard to "over-cure".  A 2" thick brisket, by my method, would cure for 5 days or longer. (1/4" per day from top and bottom).  I do 3" pork loins for 12-14 days.

Charcuterie is a great book BTW!
    Love smoking chicken...but they are hard to keep lit ;-) http://daveyrayland.wordpress.com/ Small Egg / Weber OTG 22" / CharGriller Trio / Masterbuilt 30" Electric
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Options
    Tweev, I am Irish and must eat it corned or I am ex-communicated.  At least for the month of March.