Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another newbie question about Boston Butt

Options
JTrain
JTrain Posts: 3
edited February 2012 in Root

Just put on a 9lb butt (my first butt) hoping to pull at 4pm tomorrow. I obviously put too much lump in- I cannot get the temp down to 250 even though I've basically closed both vents. From reading around it seems opening the BGE is treason. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• travisstrick
    Options
    How long has it been on? As long as it hasnt been on too long, I'd take the meat out and start over. If you leave it in, an hour or so at high temp wont hurt a thing. If you cut off the air, it will cool down eventually
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Options
    Probably not an issue with the quantity of lump in the egg, but how much you have lit. If you get too much lump lit in the beginning it's hard to keep it low. Don't leave the vents/dome open too long during the lighting process.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • mimauler
    mimauler Posts: 136
    Options
    Too much lump is not the problem, there's a million different ways to light the egg.  I usually take two starter cubes and cut them in half put one in the middle and then put the other three two to three inches out in a circle around the middle.  Open everything up and raise the lid for about 15 minutes.  This way works for me.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    edited February 2012
    Options
    big issue is that the fire was above 250 in the first place.

as others said, it's not how much fuel you have, it's how much you are burning.  just as a car with a full gas tank does not go faster, a full egg won't burn hotter.

don't let temps get established for any length of time above your target temp. one of the ways the egg maintains steady heat is by sinking so much heat into the ceramic. which means if it is allowed to get hot, it'll stay hot.

only option for a too hot egg is to shut the vents down. even barely open, it will not choke out the fire. 
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    On my XL, to hold 250* my bottom grate is only open 1/4" to 3/8" and my daisy wheel is covered with the little holes open a about half-way.  I thought for sure I'd kill the fire the first time at 1/4", but worked fine for hours.  Like Stike said, once you overshoot it takes time, like an hour, to come back down.

I would not be concerned with hitting 250* dome temp for a butt.  It will come out just fine at 275* or even a little higher. 
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Jameson19
    Options
    During a low and slow if mine gets too hot, I have a routine that seems to work. I close the bottom vent to about a sixteenth of an inch and the same with the daisy wheel. I leave them like that for about 20 minutes to slow down the charcoal burning. Then, I open the top vent as far as it will go for 30 seconds. Repeat as many times as necessary. Doing this kinda sucks, which is why I've learned to pay closer attention to the temp during the initial startup. Depending on how much too hot the egg is, I will burp the dome lid for a second or two. 

The idea I have behind this is to slow the charcoal burn and let the heat that is built up inside the egg escape. I know you should never open the dome lid, but I believe you have to make these mistakes before you can learn from them. I've never had anything come out bad from doing this or from not doing it. I'm sure there are a lot fo crazy routines out there that make no real sense like this one! 
    Large BGE, Adjustable Rig, Small BGE, 2 BBQ Guru's, 18" WSM, Rockwood, Stage 3 Roush Mustang and a hot wife... 

Las Vegas, Nevada!
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    be careful burping the egg to 'release heat' if you are around 250 or so.

the only thing that cools off is the thermometer.  the egg ceramics will remain hot, and worse, the fire (which is very very small at 250) will get a nice big dose of fresh air when you open the dome.  think of how small a vent opening will maintain 250.  tiny.  then imagine how much bigger the 'opening' is created by opening your dome.

just shut vents and let her come down.  if you are at 300, better to not even shut vents too far.  just set them for 250, and it will eventually get there.  if you overchoke the fire, you'll submarine under 250 and then need to fiddle with vents to gt back up to 250.

the zen approach is that maintaining a certain temperature is achieved most easily by not trying too hard to maintain a certain temperature.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • daveyray72
    Options
    A butt is so forgiving that cooking a bit higher than 250-275 is fine...won't wreck your cook.  I often cook butts or brisket at 300 on my offset.  
    Love smoking chicken...but they are hard to keep lit ;-) http://daveyrayland.wordpress.com/ Small Egg / Weber OTG 22" / CharGriller Trio / Masterbuilt 30" Electric
  • JTrain
    Options
    Thanks to everyone. I got it down in the 225-250 range for about 13 hours and it was delicious. Can't wait to experiment with ribs, fish, etc.