Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Friday Night Pizza

Options
Mighty_Quinn
Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
I went for another high heat (800* +) pizza cook and had fantastic results.  Homemade crust with sourdough starter, yeast, water, and bread flour. 1st pie is fresh mozz and ham....second is fresh mozz, kalamata olives, spinach.  Both baked for about 4 minutes on top of the adjustable rig.  The needle was pegged on the dome thermometer.  I really need to get an IR thermometer so I can have an idea of the temperature of the stone.

This was easily the best pizza i've made on the Egg.

Comments

• IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Options
    Nicely done...
  • jmsmrdk
    Options
    I like the high temp pizza too. I just watch it with a flashlight   The only takeout pizza we've had since the egg is a place that uses coal and cooks at 900 or so degrees.  Homemade gets better every time tho
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Options
    I know with all of the toppings, it wasn't authentic Neapolitan, but this site has been and will be my pizza inspiration for a while.....

http://www.varasanos.com/PizzaRecipe.htm
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    Actually I don't understand the really high temp pizza cooking.  I would appreciate some dissertation.  I have had very good results at about 450.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Options
    Very nice MQ as usual. Your pizzas look awesome. Need to get me a starter.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • jmsmrdk
    Options
    thin crust pizza can be cooked at just about any temp i think. when its real hot you can get it crispy without drying it out.  Thinner is better for me.toppings and cheese cook fast too.  We do ours all homemade. Not perfect yet but getting there.
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Thanks Gato. You should be able to find a source for starter online. I'm pretty sure king Arthur flour website sells it and there is a site linked on that Neapolitan pizza site posted above.

@Doc- I wish I had a real dissertation for you. I'm trying to replicate a certain style of pizza that is the traditional style of Naples, Italy where pizza has been cooked in coal fired ovens at 900*. Check out the site I linked above. The key is high protein flour worked into a very wet dough and the absence of oil or sugar so the pizza cooks at a very high temp. This leads to a nice thin, perfectly charred crust. I have gotten good results with lower temps too, but I am trying for a certain end product.
  • Gato
    Options
    Yes, I checked out that site the last time you posted it. I remember them giving info on just buying an established starter. Great site.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    You can make your own starter fairly easily, just flour and water and some bacteria and yeast that is found on the flour.  A lot of experts in the baking world figure that it does not matter what culture you start with you will eventually end up with the culture native to your area and the flour you use.

Gerhard
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Options
    I've seen methods too that call for taking chunks of apples and let them sit in some water to make a slurry and leaving that sit out on the counter for a few days to attract wild yeasts and bacteria and then strain and mix that water with flour to get the starter going.
  • jmsmrdk
    Options
    I've seen methods too that call for taking chunks of apples and let them sit in some water to make a slurry and leaving that sit out on the counter for a few days to attract wild yeasts and bacteria and then strain and mix that water with flour to get the starter going.
    that sounds cool
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Options
    So I was a little off...keep the lid covered on the apple water slurry to propagate the yeasts in/on the apple naturally. You're not collecting wild yeasts from the air.

http://williamalexander.com/bread/levain.cfm

I got my starter from a local bakery/cafe that does sourdough, so asking someplace local might be a good option if your have an artisan baker around you.
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    http://www.breadtopia.com/make-your-own-sourdough-starter/

Here is a link on starting a sourdough culture.

Gerhard
  • paulheels
    Options
    Thefreshloaf.com. Awesome bread site. To make a starter use bread flour and water. Feed twice a day. Mine took about two weeks to get going. Some may take less some even more. I keep at %100 hydration. I measure at 50g starter. 100g water. 100g bread flour.
    People use rye to begin the starter, seems to have a few more bacteria and starts better. The site I posted earlier is filled with
    Some very very smart helpful people. I just gave you te quick and dirty

Paul
    thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Options
    Paul- About every fourth feeding, I feed mine with rye flour. I do think it helps with the sourness.
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Options
    Thanks Tweev. I'm getting closer to that perfect Neapolitan pie. This time I left out commercial yeast and just let my starter do the work. The dough probably could have fermented another day to help out the texture. 24 hours wasn't enough this time without the boost from instant yeast.
  • MaskedMarvel
    Options
    Anyone else read these dough threads and realize they have SO MUCH to learn?
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Randy1
    Randy1 Posts: 379
    Options

ME

Maumelle, Arkansas
  • Gato
    Options
    Anyone else read these dough threads and realize they have SO MUCH to learn?
    I feel the exact same way. I have fed alot of things in my time, but this wasn't one of them. I think we can catch up though.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Options
    I don't think the high heat method works with Publix pizza dough, though

We tried it in an Large that stabilized at 650F with a legs-up platesetter, grid, and pizza stone. While finishing up the pies the Egg creeped up to 750F so we dialed her back down to a stable-again 650F. Burned three pies in a row, charred the bottoms black, before 'getting it', i.e. the stone was tfh!

Pulled the stone, cooled the Egg down to 450F and stabilized, put the stone back in and stabilized again at 450F and all was well.

So.

Yeah.

Lots evidently depends on the dough!
  • Shadyman
    Shadyman Posts: 1
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Just added a baking stone, going to try the high heat method for lunch.
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Options
    I wouldn't try pizzas over 600 or so with oil or sugar in the dough....they'll burn. I'm guessing the publix dough has both....most, if not all store bought dough does. Try a good pizzeria if you're not into making your own. No worries if using lower temps...you can still make fantastic pizza...I do it all the time, it's just not the real deal Naples style.
  • EZEGG
    EZEGG Posts: 49
    Options
    Nice pizza cook!  Looks excellent!   I LOVE some simple pizza cooked super hot and fast on the egg.  

*** Just remember to watch your dome band getting loose at those high temps... Don't want to see anyone dump the top of their egg onto the patio.... Yikes!
    Eric O. RMBBQA Member Blog - http://smokeontherockies.com/ Large Big Green Egg
  • EZEGG
    EZEGG Posts: 49
    Options
    Oh and here is the best setup I have found for high heat pizza.  I tried the legs up with grid and I think too much heat gets to the bottom of the stone...

Eric O. RMBBQA Member Blog - http://smokeontherockies.com/ Large Big Green Egg
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Options
    My setup was adjustable rig with stone on top...about 2" abve the felt and a stone for indirect on the level below that...similar to what you do, but without the plate setter and higher in the dome. The extra height helps cook the toppings faster from the heat off the dome without the crust burning.
  • NecessaryIndulg
    NecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,298
    edited February 2012
    Options
    I made this pizza the other night with Publix dough. I had my LBGE cranked -- it took about 6 minutes. No problems at all.Grilled Pizza
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    That pic is magazine worthy.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • paulheels
    Options
    @mighty_quinn. If you want more sour bread, let it set a few days after you feed it. But, you won't get very good rise either.
    thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.