Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope you had a great Labor Day and are excited for the start of the NFL this week. If you’re not a sports fan, you can celebrate National Breakfast Month all September and National Cheese Pizza Day on September 5. We can’t wait to share some awesome fall recipes with you all! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Lets talk scallops.

travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,376
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
I have seen quite a bit of scallop posts on here lately and wanted to put up a little public service announcement. Among other ways, scallops are divided into two groups. "Wet and dry", the "dry" are natural and are just as nature grew them, the "wet" have been treated with a preservative chemical. 

The "wet" scallops contain up to 30% water and do not sear very well. The chemical also imparts a kind of soapy flavor. When I worked in a seafood market in college, all the top chefs would only accept "dry" scallops for their restaurants. In my experience, when you ask a server or chef which kind they serve, you normally get the dumb look as they don't know what you are talking about. Assume they serve "wet" if they don't know. 

This vid give a good explination. I hope this helps with ya'lls future cooks. 

Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.

Comments