Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

16" round drip pan - bad idea?

MikeGMikeG Posts: 174
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum

As seen in these pics.  Does this big guy compromise airflow enough to mess with proper L&S cooking?  I like keeping all that gunk out of the cooker.

I've used it in three cooks so far and all seems well but I'm so new I don't yet know what I don't know :)

IMG_4437.JPG 825.4K
IMG_4442.JPG 852.4K
·

Comments

• BOWHUNRBOWHUNR Posts: 1,447

I've used it in three cooks so far and all seems well 

It looks like you've pretty much answered your own question.

Mike
    Omaha, NE

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
    ·
  • Weber ash tray ? It's still smaller than a platesetter or other heat blocker so I think your fine. Good idea
    ·
  • stikestike Posts: 15,597
    ...and the open area at the sides is much more than the open area of the upper( and/or lower vent) when set at low and slow temps.  it would have to be smaller to truly restrict the airflow to any degree
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
    ·
  • I have a 15" cast iron skillet I use as a drip pan sometimes with the plate setter for shorter cooks. I tried it for the first time this past week with an overnight smoke and my fire went out (there was still lump that was unturned). I assume it was because of the skillet....
    ·
  • I use an old ceramic covered broiling pan without the top and put HD foil.Can fill with liquids and all.When done,Throw away the tin foil.
    LET'S EAT
    ·
  • stikestike Posts: 15,597
    @leechrg: no reason that skillet should snuff the fire.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
    ·