Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The steak that brought Tom to his knees!!

Options
Saucy Sue
Saucy Sue Posts: 79
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thank you to Wess and Sally in Waldorf for showing me how he grills his steaks. A little Dales Seasoning, onion powder, garlic powder, sea salt and a nice dusting of Cow Lick. Hot sear on a 600 grill and MAN WERE THEY GREAT!!! The only problem is Tom will never take me out to eat again. You can't get a better steak anywhere in Cincinnati than at the Flynn house. No lie!! I wish I had could send a picture but that will be the next project. A digital camera!!

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Saucy Sue,
    No disrespect to your tastes, nor to our fine rub sellers here, but I gotta tell you...[p]Being 60 I'm sure I'm your senior and therefore I probably have eaten more steak than you. OK?[p]We have had only two "favorite" steak houses over our 38 years of marriage. I too thought I found the holy grail when I bought my first BGE 5 years ago. We liked the steaks, but it wasn't quite up to our benchmark steaks regardless. Then just two years ago I went to a local butcher shop which heretofore had prices so "outlandish" in my mind. At that time I paid 15.99 a pound for New York strips when they were selling for 9.99 at our best local grocery store, and on sale for 6.99 at all the major local chain stores.[p]The secret is AGED BEEF - NOT the rub, NOT the seasoning, NOT the marinade - just the aging of the beef. Can you age it yourself? yes and no, but the tried and true results I have gotten over the last two years mean I will never pay $100 for a steak dinner out when I can "WOW" us at home with a mere $25 worth of aged beef.[p]I hope this helps you two in your search for the holy grail!!![p]

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • PRobinson
    PRobinson Posts: 74
    Options
    Saucy Sue,[p]I agree! Sally described Wess' method at Waldorf to me also, and I tried it Sunday. While it may have not been the "best" for some, it was absolutely the best I have ever cooked or eaten. Fellow eggers sure make us look good!