Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Are you happy it’s finally National BBQ Month? While we like to BBQ year round, May is our favorite because the whole country is celebrating delicious food. If you’re new to cooking BBQ on your EGG, check out our Smoking Basics Publication...if not, proceed to some of our favorite recipes! We love Dr. BBQ’s Coffee Rubbed Brisket, Famous Dave’s Sticky Ribs and Virginia Willis’ Pulled Pork. Pair with this cheesy favorite for a winning way to start off May!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Its another "my fire went out cooking brisket" thread! Is my brisket ruined?

frogfrogfrogfrog Posts: 24
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum

Ok, started brisket at 8:30 last night.  Things were humming at about 250 and I went to bed about 11.  Internal temp steadily rising (160 when I went to bed and 168 at midnight).  Sometime around 3 am the internal temperature dropped to 158.  I checked and the fire was out.  Egg thermometer read 40-50 (outside temp was 40 degrees).

When I opened, the brisket was still "sizzling".  Internal temp never dropped below 158.  I wrapped in foil and put it in the over.

Verdict???

Thanks...

·

Comments

• Mighty_QuinnMighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    edited February 2012
    It's always either air flow or not enough fuel if the fire goes out. Chances are your fire grate holes were clogged with with ash or small pieces of lump. Gotta make sure you clear everything out before long cooks and then build fire with larger pieces of lump at the bottom....totally fill fire box with lump, not just up to the holes on side.
    ·
  • Thanks.  Weird deal on the fire. 

Any thoughts on whether my brisket is ruined?

·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,143

Based on the numbers you posted-your brisket is fine and waititng to continue the journey to the finish line.  Enjoy that meteorite when finished the cook.

Louisville
    ·
  • drbbqdrbbq Posts: 1,152
    That brisket is safe. Enjoy!
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
    ·
  • Thanks to you both.  It was a big motha and I didn't want to toss it.
    ·