Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Strange new indication

Options
docbipe
docbipe Posts: 28
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum
I knew I would have to be replacing my top gasket soon, but the usual indicator (smoke in the area of the gasket) never revealed itself. I started having trouble keeping the temp down! The cook before last, I had to close the vent and the daisy wheel further than normal. Another strange indication was that the lump left was just a fraction of normal. My cook today forced me to all but close everything almost completely to get under 400! I ordered a nomex gasket from HiQue, as I had been using the OEM felt. Such a shame a better gasket could not be provided  by EGG.
I am curious if anyone else had experienced the same indications. I have run over 200 lbs of lump thru in less than a year, and replaced the bottom gasket twice, never have replaced the top.

Comments

• Hillbilly-Hightech
    Options
    you don't necessarily have to see smoke escaping, it could be that extra air is coming in, thus causing the difficulty in keeping the temp down (and thus the increased usage of the extra lump). 

At any rate, whether you see the smoke escaping, or not - seems like you know enough about what's going on to realize that the gasket is needing to be replaced. 

Keep in mind that some folks don't even use a gasket & they seem to be OK - but it sounds like your Egg doesn't have as tight of a tolerance between the Dome & Base to allow you to do that, so unfortunately, it's gasket replacement time!!
    :-S
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options

If you have an Egg you replace the gasket (except for one stike has for some reason 11 years). Have 3 eggs and no gaskets, not going to replace. Gasket life is as little as the first time you open the lid till ???? (not very long).

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• docbipe
    docbipe Posts: 28
    Options
    I just installed my nomex gasket from HIQUE. I will give it a work out!
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Options
    I burned up the top BGE gasket on mine and ordered a Nomex but have not installed it yet since the bottom gasket remains and is working fine.
  • tjp1060
    tjp1060 Posts: 55
    Options
    Does it cause a problem with wire damage to the temp probes if you don't have a gasket between the two halves?
  • I certanily think so.  I destroyed a couple probes before I replaced the BGE gasket with the HiQue Nomex gasket.  The HiQue has held up remarkably well.

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL