Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket/Boston Butt Low and Slow Question

Options
bluegrasstiger
bluegrasstiger Posts: 145
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum
Is the amount of time spend in the "stall" phase important? or is it more important just to get to the final meat temp?

I ask because I have noted that several recommend increasing the temperature to make the cook go faster, or wrapping in foil to "power through" the stall.  So, is it better to have it stay in the stall as long as possible for maximum "rendering" or to get it to 195 or 200 or 205 regardless of time.

Comments

• bluegrasstiger
    Options
    BTW, I'm cooking a brisket at 250 grate...about 300 dome... and everything is going according to plan after 5 hours.  It's small and meat temp is at 165 and still rising nicely.

I was just wondering while watching the egg.
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Options
    My advice, just let her go at the temp you have, don't adjust anything.  Rise when ready.
  • ChanningJohnson
    Options
    Cook's illustrated talks about a temperature range where the fat renders best. I thought I remember it being between 165 and 180. Please correct me on that though. The longer it's in that range the better, I was lead to understand. I thought rendering the fat was why people take the internal done temperature well above safe consumption temperatures. 
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    the reason it is taken to 200 or so is to render the fat but also (most important) to convert the tough collagen to melted gelatin.

pork butt cooked to safe temperatures only (140 or so) would be fatty and tough.
    taken all the way thru the plateau, the fat has rendered a bit, and the gelatin (no longer binding the muscle fibers together) makes the meat succulent, replacing the water lost when cooked to such a high temperature
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • tnbarbq
    tnbarbq Posts: 248
    Options
    I try not to worry about how long the meat is in the stall phase.  It's just something we have to deal with.  Focus more on getting to finished temp and use the stall to enjoy another cold one.
    Scooter 
    Mid TN. Hangin' in the 'Boro. MIM Judge