Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope you all got to celebrate those tasty food holidays last week, we sure enjoyed them! We are even more excited about the beginning of fall, for so many reasons, but mainly for experiencing the cool, crisp air while being outside cooking up the best recipes the season has to offer. We especially love these Beer Pork Tenderloin and Ground Beef Acorn Squash recipes! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Older Egg won't get hot. Howcum?

JDPJDP Posts: 9
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum

I trade cooking ideas with a buddy of mine.  The subject turned to steak on the BGE.  I touted the TRex method of steaks but he said he couldn't do it.  Said his egg would not go above 450*.  That piqued my interest so I headed to his house with an 1 1/2 thick ribeye, a calibrated thermometer, and a fresh bag of BGE lump.

His first problem was that he was not using enough charcoal.  I filled the box with unused charcoal and we lit it up.  Replaced his thermometer with mine and let it rip.  An hour later all I could get out of his egg was around 700*.  Airflow was good, we had completely cleaned the ashes, even the ones under the removeable bottom section.  I have to think it was the egg. 

I've got the latest egg and he has an old one, he doesn't know how old.  It does not have the daisy wheel adjuster and the lid has a lever to lock it in the upright position. 

So what's the deal?  My egg will easily do 1000* (well not easily, but it will do it), his identical model won't go above 700*.

Comments