Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cast iron grates?

Options
Indiana Skeeter
Indiana Skeeter Posts: 30
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
what do the cast iron grate do that the one that come with the egg does not? this maybe a stupid question but I would like to know.

Comments

• Citizen Q
    Citizen Q Posts: 484
    Options
    indiana skeeter,
    It really holds the heat which makes it great for searing meats. The grids are also narrow on one side and wide and flat on the other, so you can flip it over for easy handling of more delicate items like fish and veggies that tend to stick and fall through.[p]Cheers,
    C~Q

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    indiana skeeter,[p]What Citizen Q said is correct, but after purchasing one, I'm not sure its really that great. [p]Don't get me wrong, it gives great grill marks on steaks and holds heat very well (but I never had any problems with the original grill surface). Sure, the porcelain coating is long gone, but so what, it has developed it's own non-stick properties!! [p]Also, I find that the cast iron needs more work to maintain. After all, It's cast iron and can rust if not treated after each use.[p]One last thought. The sucker is HEAVY and difficult to pickup (especially when it's hot).[p]Just my feelings
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    indiana skeeter,
    with the heat retention of the cast iron, it sears quicker and at lower temps than the origional grill. it also seems to help to stabilize the temp and hold heat similar to a plate setter while doing raised direct cooks. the only seasoning i do is cooking sausages on it occasionally, it hasnt rusted on me (i dont wash the grill, like i wouldnt wash a cast iron pan). pointy side up i use for steaks,chicken, tuna steaks, etc. flat side up when cooking burgers. the only draw back is that its heavey, but my lawn ranger tool works fine on it as long as you grasp it on the steel slightly in front of the handle

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    Options
    Smokey,[p]My first thought when I read about it holding the heat well was, if the ceramic really does a good job of holding in the heat. How could anything inside the ceramic give up its heat?[p]Regards,
    Jethro

• Topo Gigio
    Topo Gigio Posts: 98
    Options
    indiana skeeter, not only is it good for initial grill marks on steaks. The heat retention quality is good for flipping a steak and placing it on the same spot (for when you have a full grill of meat). The second side will still sear nicely. With my porcelan if I flip a steak and place in on the same spot it won't sear as nicely as the first side. Also, if your doing multiple batches it will retain heat from batch to batch. [p]It is heavy, but I think its worth it. I lift mine with the handle portion of the ash tool/grid lifter the egg came with. I use leverage betweek two grid twines.[p]I needed a second grid for an extended grid using my firebricks. So I bought the cast iron. I use both grids depending on the application.[p]