Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Toys for My Egg - Wireless Thermometer, Dutch Oven, and Salt Bricks

PapalikesPapalikes Posts: 25
edited December 2011 in Off Topic
EggHeads, I have been given some giftcards for X-Mas and am thinking about getting a good wireless thermometer and a cast iron Dutch Oven. 
1)  Anyone know of a good wireless thermometer for use with a Large?
2)  When it comes to a Dutch Oven, should I look for one with legs or without legs?  I have a cast iron cooking grate, so I am not worried about the weight of either.
3)  As well, I was given a salt brick for grilling.  Has anyone had good luck with one of those, know any good recipes, or any tricks I need to know?

Thanks All, and Merry Christmas!
·

Comments

• EgtsEgts Posts: 27
    I've got the Maverick ET-73 and it works like a charm. If I replace it I'll get the Maverick ET-732, because itso probes are rated for higher temps and has a greater remote range. As far as a dutch oven....I don't have one and haven't used one since I was in boy scouts. Let me know how the salt block works. Its on my short list.
    ·
  • Explode if heated too quickly, got it.  Appreciate the tip on that one...
    ·
  • BOWHUNRBOWHUNR Posts: 1,448
    Another vote for the ET-732.

Mike
    Omaha, NE

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
    ·
  • I use Himalyan salt blocks (2"x4"x8") for cooking fish. I typically use them on my gas grill not my egg. I place the bricks on the grill prior to lighting the grill. This is so they heat at a steady pace rather than tossing them on a hot grill. Once they are at max temp for several minutes, I start cooking. I usually just lightly oil the fish and crack some pepper on the filets. So far, it is my favorite method to grill fish. I do not buy the more expensive sized bricks. If I need more cooking area, I just use more bricks (I bought 4).
    ·
  • Amother vote for the Maverick ET-732, I have the 73 and it works well, the 732 is an improvement. As for the Dutch oven I use a camp style with the legs so there is an air gap when you go indirect by placing it on a platesetter.
    ·
  • SqueezySqueezy Posts: 1,101
    I use Himalyan salt blocks (2"x4"x8") for cooking fish. I typically use them on my gas grill not my egg. I place the bricks on the grill prior to lighting the grill. This is so they heat at a steady pace rather than tossing them on a hot grill. Once they are at max temp for several minutes, I start cooking. I usually just lightly oil the fish and crack some pepper on the filets. So far, it is my favorite method to grill fish. I do not buy the more expensive sized bricks. If I need more cooking area, I just use more bricks (I bought 4).

What is max temp. for using the salt blocks?
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
    ·
  • AD18AD18 Posts: 165
    I have the older Maverick ET-73 and it has served me very well.  I use it every time for low and slow. 
    Large BGE, Weber 22.5 kettle, Weber Genesis
    Cobourg, Ontario
    ·
  • billyraybillyray Posts: 1,122
    Lodge makes great cast iron products. I'd get a 4 quart without the legs, then you can use it on a variety of grill set ups. Also another vote for the ET-732 and a Thermapen.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small and waiting on a mini
    ·
  • If anyone is ever in the Chattanooga, TN area...there is a lodge factory store in South Pittsburg, TN, which is just north of Chattanooga on I-24.  If you are a cast iron fan you would love this store.  Very good prices and everything cast iron.
    ·
  • Squeezy - I don't have a surface thermometer, but I would guess my gas grill gets them to about 700 degrees. My grill has four IR burners that I ramp up to max temp for salt block cooking. Here is a link to a website that said they have tested there's from 0-900 deg. F.

http://www.saltnews.com/cooking-with-himalayan-salt-plates-blocks-bricks-platters/

I will try to post a pic later, but it seem like I can't attach pics if I post with my phone.
    ·
  • Here is a pic of the salt block in action cooking a nice piece of Opah, lightly brushed with olive oil and seasoned with cracked pepper.  I have not tried the salt on the BGE yet, mainly because I usually do not cook my fish on the egg.

·
  • How come that pic is not on an egg?
    LET'S EAT
    ·
  • Flamethrower - Yeah, I mentioned earlier in the thread that I use the salt blocks on the gasser for fish.  I never tried the salt blocks on the egg.  I feel that the BGE smoke does the trick by itself and the salt blocks are not needed there.  However, to get better flavor on a gasser, the salt blocks (or cedar planks) help a lot. 
    ·
  • I got the BGE cast iron Dutch oven this year and made baked beans in it yesterday and a pulled pork...loved the Dutch oven...I have an Oregon Scientific remote thermometer and I do NOT reccomnded it ..will be replacing...very finicky- good luck
    ·
  • ShawnShawn Posts: 356
    The Dutch oven is osome I lovemaking bake bean and stews with it! Also for thermometer I would go with a maverick ET732 and thermapen. Thermapen are all on sale this time a year and the maverick I found it to be cheaper at grillgrate store. If you get the duct oven don't forget to season it before first use!
    Cheers! Shawn My Blog: http://hrmcreativebbq.blogspot.com/ My Dads Custom Handles Blog http://dannyscarvings.blogspot.com
    ·
  • SqueezySqueezy Posts: 1,101
    Squeezy - I don't have a surface thermometer, but I would guess my gas grill gets them to about 700 degrees. My grill has four IR burners that I ramp up to max temp for salt block cooking. Here is a link to a website that said they have tested there's from 0-900 deg. F.

http://www.saltnews.com/cooking-with-himalayan-salt-plates-blocks-bricks-platters/

I will try to post a pic later, but it seem like I can't attach pics if I post with my phone.

Thanks for the info ... in the past I have seen only the decorative salts in crystal stores not the cooking varieties. Not easy to find around here, so not likely be getting one.
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
    ·
  • I have a Lodge dutch oven that I use primarily for making roux for gumbos and etouffees but also other things including beans on the egg.  It is a smaller one with no legs.  I absolutely love it.  You would have to whup my _ss to get that thing away from me.  In fact, I won't even let my wife touch it much less cook with it.
    Jackson, Tennessee. VFL (Vol for Life)
    ·
  • Sorry, I caught it after another read.
    LET'S EAT
    ·
  • Thnks for the recommendations everyone.  I placed my Amazon order for the Maverick ET-732 this morning.  Also hit Bass Pro Shops for the 4 quart Lodge Dutch oven.  The 5 quart was only $9 more, but my spidey-senses told me to stick with the 4.
    ·
  • LyndeLynde Posts: 12

I just purchased the Digi DX2 from BBQ Guru - have not made a butt or brisket yet, but have toyed with the system.  Very easy to use and like it so far.  It has a blower to keep the heat at the programmed temperature, a programable meat thermometer and the internal dome temperature.  BGE has the BBQ Guru package one for them with the egg logo - website is www.bbqguru.com

·
  • I ued my new 732 for the first time tonight. I really like it. What a great accessory, it really gives piece of mind. Here in Minnesota it is easy to delay checking temps, now I won't have to worry. Accuracy was great out of the box too.
    ·