Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone enjoyed their Fourth of July weekend and is excited for more warm weather grilling! This week, we’ll be making these two burgers: Stuffed Portobello Mushroom and Caribbean Chicken, and also eating lots of these Ice Cream Sandwiches in honor of National Ice Cream Month! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Smoking cookbook for beginners

AggieSmokerAggieSmoker Posts: 6
edited December 2011 in EggHead Forum
My dad recently bought a Traeger Smoker and I'd like to get him a cookbook for Christmas.  His cooking knowledge is pretty limited so I'm thinking it needs to be pretty basic but I'd like something battle tested by you guys instead of the first one I see on the shelf.  I'm also thinking about a good remote thermometer if you've got any recommendations that way.  I appreciate the help.

Comments

• Gary Wiviott's Book "Low and Slow" is the perfect beginner/intermediate smoking cookbook. While not tailored specifically to a Traeger, the methods, temperatures and recipes are easily translated to a pellet cooker.  On the remote thermometer, I have heard good things, but do not yet have, the Maverick ET 732. I have the older model, which is passable, but the newer model is supposed to be an improvement.

I am guessing from your screen name that you're a Texas A&M Former Student. A&M is my adopted school (after my beloved Auburn University), having been married to an Aggie for almost 24 years!

Pat
    Grilling is my Therapy - Smoking is my Spiritual Retreat.
  • Great tips all around. Thanks a ton. As for my handle origin, A&M's my adopted school as well. I went for a while but being young and stupid, I decided to sail the 7 seas instead.
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,177
    Smoke and Spice is good one.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Official Unofficial "Wing King" until voting finalizes on 7/31 at 11:59PM