Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

How to store lump charcoal?

joe317joe317 Posts: 28
edited December 2011 in EggHead Forum
What is the best method and best location to store lump charcoal? I live in the western desert area of Texas so we don't get much rain or humidity. I was thinking just keeping the bag of charcoal under my covered patio or placing it inside a Rubbermaid container under my covered patio. What do others do?
·

Comments

• JasperJasper Posts: 378
    Mine stays in the garage. As long as its kept dry, it should be all good.
    ·
  • FxLynchFxLynch Posts: 433
    We've gotten a lot of rain this fall in MO since I've gotten my egg, but I usually just keep bags in the garage.  I did purchase some tupperware type containers at Walmart that hold almost a 10 lb bag so I can see the pieces easier that I am putting in the Egg.  They should also prevent moisture.

Frank
    ·
  • I just have a plastic storage container that I got at Target that I put my charcoal bags and all of my accessories in.  It is out in the weather, and I have never had any water get in it.  
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
    ·
  • I got a Kingsford charcoal container I bought at Sam's Club for $10.00.  It is made of heavy duty plastic, has a tight seal, and holds about 10 pounds of lump.  I have also seen them at Home Depot, Lowe's, and Walmart.
    ·
  • jaydub58jaydub58 Posts: 1,623

Yeah, I use the Kingsford container also.  Keeps about 10 pounds very handy right by the BGE.  My backup supply stays in the garage until needed.

=;
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
    ·
  • bill_bbill_b Posts: 13
      Well I discovered what to do with my old rusted out gas BBQ.  It stores lump charcoal!  It is also quite handy being located next to BGE.
    ·
  • I use one of these deck boxes.  Leave charcoal and other supplies in there year round.

Packerland, Wisconsin

·
  • I have a solid top plastic bin (Costco 2 for $9.9) that holds almost 2 bags.  Never have had a problem and it does get rained on, but lump always dry.  Rest of the bags in the garage.
    Eggin in SW "Keep it Weird" TX
    ·
  • I use thr kigsford container
    ·
  • DMurfDMurf Posts: 481
    I use the Kingsford container myself, it sits out on the patio year around. Great for when it snows in Oklahoma.
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
    ·
  • joe317joe317 Posts: 28
    Thanks for the advice. I went to Home Depot and found the Kingsford container for $12. Looks nice on the patio and holds the entire bag inside.
    ·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,926
    In the bag it came in, in the shed. No need for any plastic containers, just keep it in a dry place.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·