Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

How to store lump charcoal?

joe317joe317 Posts: 28
edited December 2011 in EggHead Forum
What is the best method and best location to store lump charcoal? I live in the western desert area of Texas so we don't get much rain or humidity. I was thinking just keeping the bag of charcoal under my covered patio or placing it inside a Rubbermaid container under my covered patio. What do others do?

Comments

• JasperJasper Posts: 378
    Mine stays in the garage. As long as its kept dry, it should be all good.
  • FxLynchFxLynch Posts: 433
    We've gotten a lot of rain this fall in MO since I've gotten my egg, but I usually just keep bags in the garage.  I did purchase some tupperware type containers at Walmart that hold almost a 10 lb bag so I can see the pieces easier that I am putting in the Egg.  They should also prevent moisture.

Frank
  • I just have a plastic storage container that I got at Target that I put my charcoal bags and all of my accessories in.  It is out in the weather, and I have never had any water get in it.  
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • I got a Kingsford charcoal container I bought at Sam's Club for $10.00.  It is made of heavy duty plastic, has a tight seal, and holds about 10 pounds of lump.  I have also seen them at Home Depot, Lowe's, and Walmart.
  • jaydub58jaydub58 Posts: 1,769

Yeah, I use the Kingsford container also.  Keeps about 10 pounds very handy right by the BGE.  My backup supply stays in the garage until needed.

=;
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • bill_bbill_b Posts: 13
      Well I discovered what to do with my old rusted out gas BBQ.  It stores lump charcoal!  It is also quite handy being located next to BGE.
  • I use one of these deck boxes.  Leave charcoal and other supplies in there year round.

Packerland, Wisconsin

• I have a solid top plastic bin (Costco 2 for $9.9) that holds almost 2 bags.  Never have had a problem and it does get rained on, but lump always dry.  Rest of the bags in the garage.
    Eggin in SW "Keep it Weird" TX
  • I use thr kigsford container
  • DMurfDMurf Posts: 481
    I use the Kingsford container myself, it sits out on the patio year around. Great for when it snows in Oklahoma.
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
  • joe317joe317 Posts: 28
    Thanks for the advice. I went to Home Depot and found the Kingsford container for $12. Looks nice on the patio and holds the entire bag inside.
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 7,069
    In the bag it came in, in the shed. No need for any plastic containers, just keep it in a dry place.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings