Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
As we round out National BBQ Month, we hope you’ve gotten to try some new recipes that will keep you cooking all summer long. Check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Holiday turkey

SchrecSchrec Posts: 5
edited December 2011 in EggHead Forum
Question:

What is the largest turkey I can cook on a large egg? I would be standing it up on a vertical turkey stand directly on top of the plate setter.
·

Comments

• The company website says you can do on 20 pounds or smaller.  I did a 17 at Thanksgiving and it worked well.
    ·
  • Was your 17 on a vertical stand, or v rack?
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,276

If you want meat cook two 12 lb's. I always cook this size as I like the taste and get 4 legs....

If you spatchcock and cook at 400 (direct and high in dome) takes about 1.25 to 1.5 hours each. You can do 2 or 3 or....

Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • Thanks for the advise all!
    ·
  • I did a 22 pounder last year Mad Max Style, easily fit and turned out awesome
    ·
  • Nice! Thanks
    ·
  • You can go bigger as well. You may have to take the clip off the dome thermo and space it out a bit.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • SqueezySqueezy Posts: 1,101
    I'd rather have a couple of young hens than one old Tom ...  ~:>
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
    ·
  • gerhardkgerhardk Posts: 817
    edited December 2011
    I'd rather have a couple of young hens than one old Tom ...  ~:>
    I think it is nearly impossible to buy an old Turkey, the way they are raised now a days even if they did not butcher them they would die of health problems.  I still like turkey but rather not think of how they are raised.

Gerhard

P.S.  We did an 8 KG bird so it would be around 17 lb earlier this year turned out nice.
    ·
  • I'd rather have a couple of young hens than one old Tom ...  ~:>
    You may very well prefer that but that was not the question.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • @Kentucky wildcat fan- Did you cook that 22 vertical or on a v rack.?
    ·
  • SqueezySqueezy Posts: 1,101
    ... and the advantage of a large bird would be?
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
    ·
  • The OP asked about the largest size of turkey that would fit. I'm not going to argue the finer points of cuisine with you.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • We've cooked a 22lb bird in a large, but had to go horizontal to fit.  I would think a 15lb bird could be done vertically.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

·
  • Thanks SmittytheSmoker. Think that's the way I'm gonna go too.
    ·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,803

You can definitely do a 16 lb beer can chicken style, placesetter legs up.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
  • @Griffin- Nice looking bird! It looks like she's juicy. 
    I'm ashamed of what I did for a Klondike Bar.
    ·
  • Griffin,

Try that inverted next time ;)

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • I used a V rack and a baking pan. I now have a turkey roaster that fits perfect in a
    Large Egg

[IMG]http://i874.photobucket.com/albums/ab306/michael_tipton/1e5544a4.png[/IMG]
    ·
  • Obviously posting a picture has changed since the forum changed.
    ·
  • bigguy136bigguy136 Posts: 962
    edited December 2011

Remove the [IMG] and [/IMG] when pasting textimage

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

·
  • Or just copy and paste

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,803

Griffin,

Try that inverted next time ;)

I don't know how well that would balance on just a Fosters beer can with no type of rack, but I just might give it a go.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
  • I use the bge stand. Did my first inverted turkey around US thanksgiving but I think I had a free range bird. I did get the 20* difference between the breast and thigh that I was hoping for.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • bigguy136bigguy136 Posts: 962
    edited December 2011
    I use the bge stand. Did my first inverted turkey around US thanksgiving but I think I had a free range bird. I did get the 20* difference between the breast and thigh that I was hoping for.

I was planning one this weekend and using the ice bag for 30 minutes on the breast meat. Will inverted will do the same?

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

·
  • Yes, that is what got me started doing chickens this way. I tried to get a pic of the thermapens but the one in the thigh didn't show. It was around 155* when the breast was 138* but by the time I pulled it and rested it was 185 to 160.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·