Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket's on - how long do you think til it's done?

Options
keithb
keithb Posts: 8
edited September 2011 in EggHead Forum

I'm doing my first brisket on our Lg egg and it seems to be going well so far.  Question: It's about 9 lb packer and has been on since 5:30 this morning at between 225 and 250. It's sitting at about 172F now (2:00 pm).  Any thoughts about how long and what temp to finish at for a 6-ish pm dinner time?  I'm tempted to leave it at 200 but just not sure if that'll give it enuf to get to 195 by then.

I left it in a br sugar / mustard / paprika based rub overnight if that matters.

Comments

• Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    edited January 2012
    Options
    I would want to pull it at 4pm for a 2 hour rest in the cooler. So I would up the heat to 300 to move it along.
  • BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Options
    Since it's a packer, are you sure the small part is not already close? Check the point's thin area and work back to where the two muscles meet. I'll pull it when it twist easy with a fork, separate them and put the point back on at 300-325 for "burnt ends"
    Kent Madison MS
  • keithb
    Options

Pulled it at 5:30 at 195F, wrapped in foil with a little bit of sauce and liquid (beer - is there anything that beer doesn't make better???).  Interesting that the flat was about the same tem as the point - is this typical?  Gonna let it rest for a while, make some sauce and then get eating prolly around 6:30-7:00.

• keithb
    Options

Oh My goodness - that was good!  made up soem sause and had some simple beans and coleslaw with it. 

The flat prolly was a little overdone (tho it read 195 when I took it off), but the point was OMG tender, juicy and awesome!  Wife noticed the difference and said "can you do the one end only next time" - meaning the point. 

• BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Options
    keithb... next time pull it and separate the point from the flat when it first shows signs of tender. Put the point back on till 210... you will love it
    Kent Madison MS
  • LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    Options
    I'm happy to hear that it was so good.
    I'm sad that there are no pics

:)
    context is important :)