Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Large BGE on Craigslist

crmwellcrmwell Posts: 19
edited September 2011 in EggHead Forum
imageUp in till 2 weeks ago, I had never heard of a BGE.  I was over at a friends house and he had the large model and was bragging about how great it is so I went home and started doing a search on the net.  I could not find any bad reviews and my Holland grill of 13 years was needing some new parts and I had decided to replace it .  Went to a dealer and priced a new large ,nest  and egg mates.  Wow over $1100.  On the way home we decided that this was out of our price range and figured that was the end of it.  I had been looking on Craigslist but couldn't find any deals.  I decided to look one more time and bingo I find a good deal.  A person has a new never used large BGE with nest, egg mates, cover ash tool, bag of BGE charcoal and starter blocks for $800!  This had been an employee gift and they never used it because they had a gas grill! LOL We drove over and picked it up and it was just as described,new never used.  We have cooked on it 4 times now and I am still learning as I go plus reading all the tips on this forum.  Food has all been great.  The one thing that I didn't like was that the cover model 5vca non ventilated is a pain in the a$$ to put over the egg with the mates hanging down.  I took the cover to a friend that has a upholstery shop and ask him if he could cut a slit in the back and add velcro like the other ventilated cover.  He said he could but suggested that he could install a zipper and it would be better.  So after the zipper was installed I took it home to try it out.  Man it is now a breeze to cover!  Since our purchase we have bought a place setter, rib rack, grill grabber tool, 3 tier rack for when we have a group over and need more space.  We borrowed a 14" pizza stone from our friend to make a pizza so now we need a stone and maybe latter a cast iron grate.  Looking forward to making a lot of great food.  With the Holland grill you could not use it when the weather got cold but now we will be able to grill all year around!
·

Comments

• SmokeySmokey Posts: 2,468
    Fun story!
    ·
  • I actually have a Large Egg and a Holland.  They are both fantastic, you definitely retain heat better with the Egg but can still use the Holland when it is cold, just a bit slower.  Anyway congrats on the good deal.

·