Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked tomato sauce

Options
baychilla
baychilla Posts: 387
edited August 2011 in EggHead Forum
I was thinking Id like to make a lasagna with a smoked tomato sauce.  What I'm trying to figure out is what is a better way to get the smoke flavor in the sauce, either cold smoking the tomatoes, warm smoking (pre cooking?) the tomatoes or just making the sauce and letting it simmer on the egg.  Any ideas?
Near San Francisco in California

Comments

• Matt
    Matt Posts: 143
    Options
    Every summer, I smoke a ridiculous number of tomatoes on my Big Chief electric smoker. I then freeze them to use throughout the year. My suggestion is that you smoke the tomatoes ahead of time and then pass them through a food mill to remove skins and seeds. Just don't cook the sauce too much after smoking the tomatoes as the smoke flavor will dissipate noticeably with long boiling.
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    I'd probably blacken the skin of the tomatoes on (or just over, using the spider) the coals. Then peel them and make the sauce, and cook the sauce on the egg.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    edited August 2011
    Options
    you can smoke the tomatoes, then make sauce, or just smoke the sauce. dont smoke the cheese on top, add it at the end and raise temps, just let a layer of sauce pick up smoke on top of the pasta. here is something you may never see again, it was good, i precooked the macaroni then smoked the pasta in a stainless strainer, then made and smoked the american chopsuey with some bbq rub on top.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v225/fishlessman/100_1319-1.jpg

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • baychilla
    baychilla Posts: 387
    Options
    Interesting, smoked pasta.  I'm guessing the favorite smoking method is hot rather than cold?
    Near San Francisco in California
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    I cut roma tomatoes in half, coat with EVOO and S&P and cook them indirect at 250 for about 4 hours.  This roasts them a little and dehydrates them a little to increase the natural flavor.  This is a great base for soup or tomato sauce for pasta.
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    I freeze Roma tomatoes to make the skin easier to remove. Just run some
    warm water over them and they pop right out of the skins. Then I cook
    them indirect at about 325 with some evo, sliced garlic and some spices
    until I get a good consistency. This goes great with lump crap meat. :)