My Thermapen is working, as far as I can tell. It reads correctly in boiling water.
But in a steak, it always seems to read too low. I am sure that the reading is correct and I am misunderstanding something, but ever since I started checking my steaks with it, they come out WAY overdone.
Here is a typical cook.
1. Remove steaks from fridge, season, let rest while the Egg warms up. Steaks are about 1.5" thick Costco cuts.
2. In 20-30 minutes, put steaks on the Egg at 650-700F.
3. Cook for 2 minutes, flip, cook for 2 minutes, check temp: internal temperature per Thermapen is 80-100F.
4. Keep abusing steaks until internal temperature is about 115F, which means another 4+ minutes.
5. Remove steaks and rest for about 5 minutes
6. Steaks are WELL done, no pink left.
If the Thermapen is working, where am I making a mistake?
Before the Thermapen I just did 2-3 mins per side, then closed the vents and let the steaks sit for another 2 minutes or so. With the Thermapen, the point where they should be cooked based on past experience reads MUCH lower than I would expect. It seems like the meat gains 30+ degrees while resting, which can't be the case. Can it?
PS I don't like the new forum either. :(